2016 POTD Thread Archive

That and always running water before putting food through it, and keep it running a bit after. Especially with potatoes/skins. They're the worst.

I made an insert holder some time back to see how it would work and it ended up being the one I use the most. Since I liked it so well I decided to make a left hand, right hand, and a 60 degree insert holder all the same length and similar design. The left and right use 1/2" square steel and the center cutter uses 3/8" square steel. I made some single point threads on the lathe and they turned out perfect, much better then with my self sharpened tool.
GEDC2754s.jpg

GEDC2756s.jpg

Thanks for looking
Ray

I picked up a set of USA made fractional drill bits ranging from 17/32” to 1” recently (for a really good price to boot). Only problem was the set didn’t come with a drill index. So, opportunity presented itself to me; I got to spend 4 or 5 hours in the shop making a $30 index!

Design is basically an aluminum tray with a couple of riser bars on the sides with a top crossbar that acts as a handle for carrying them around en masse. The index base is a ¾” oak board which is sandwiched between the bottom 1/8” aluminum tray and a piece of ½” thick x 2” aluminum bar stock. The top handle and lower front block were number punched to ID the drill bits. I’m always nervous about missing or side-striking the punches, probably old memories of my dad saying I hammered like lightening, never hit the same place twice! A bar was clamped to the aluminum to ease in aligning the punches, eyeballed the spacing. Used a capital letter “I” for the hash in the fractions.

I used some blue Loctite to highlight the numbers, didn’t have a paint marker handy. All in all pretty pleased with the end result. Still need to finish the oak, leaning towards just linseed oil or motor oil to keep the drill bit shanks from rusting.

Bruce

20161012_130624a.jpg 20161012_131545a.jpg 20161012_143801a.jpg 20161013_134335a.jpg 20161013_135138a.jpg 20161013_150055a.jpg 20161013_151135a.jpg 20161013_151142a.jpg 20161013_151150a.jpg 20161013_151304a.jpg

I decided to make a left hand, right hand, and a 60 degree insert holder all the same length and similar design.

And they seem to be using the same insert. Good job. I did something similar. I got a good deal on some inserts and made the holders to fit them.

That and always running water before putting food through it, and keep it running a bit after. Especially with potatoes/skins. They're the worst.

DON'T EVER EVER EVER DUMP POTATO SKINS IN...SOME PEOPLE DUMP OLD FOOD ECT DOWN...SURE YOU CAN DO IT BUT ALL IT DOES IT ROTT AND STINK OUT YOUR PLUMBING..USE IN MODERATION

And they seem to be using the same insert. Good job. I did something similar. I got a good deal on some inserts and made the holders to fit them.

Thanks Charles
Yes they are all the same and I am not an expert on inserts but just the opposite. The first ones I bought did not have any relief any where they were just straight sides but cheap. I did a little research and found these with 7 degree relief all around and about the same size for less then $5 each. One insert for all.

They work really well for me so I am happy.
Ray

Yeah, I've got one of those that works fine but the drain is constricting itself, only flows when grinding. Otherwise just sort of dribbles.
Try grinding up a half a bucket of ice cubes.

I removed mine now everything goes into a rotating composter, including meat, bones fish guts, prawn shells, everything. Awesome compost very fast, better than a heap on the ground.

Back