Are these glass scales compatible?

Thanks so much for your updates guy. I'm about to go the touchDro route. This information is very helpful.

Just a quick pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_150130.jpg
    IMG_20210515_150130.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 246
Finally got my mill replaced with one that works properly so I installed the scales along with the TouchDRO and everything is working very smooth so far.

Attachments

• PXL_20210619_121749514.jpg
    PXL_20210619_121749514.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 199
Thanks, it's an Optimum Optimill MH 50V of German/Chinese origin.

Well Ive been MIA
I was summoned to another out of town job. at least this one is driving distance from home, though it will be only for the odd weekend.
My machines are going to get lonely. I was able to get the z axis scale mounted on the knee before I left town . I'm still trying to work out a plan for the quill mounting. There are not too many places to put it where it wont be in the way of something. And BTW the touch DRO works like a charm..... I hope I powered it all down before I left town :oops:

I hope all is well with all of you. And yes cool looking mill, I hope you have gotten it dirty a few time by now.

Quill mount is a bit challenging in particular with the bulky glass scales. They do sell slime line glass scales which are smaller but you still have an issue with the limited travel at the ends which makes the scales much longer than the travel. Example below is a magnetic scale, the brackets attaching to the head have 2 screws and I was very careful of not drilling the holes too deep into the release mechanism. I use sensors on my quill for auto start and auto reverse so a few more wires and planning to incorporate them.

Had an Optimum BF-30 previously, had too many QC issues, some serious. Also had limited Y axis travel. Hopefully the new models have improved the Chinese manufacturing QC. Fortunately I was able to move up to a full size knee mill.
Quill Bracket Pin.jpg

Quill Scale Mount.jpg

Quill Scale Mount Cover.jpg

Question for you folks that have got these scales installed. Did you use the M4 screws that came with the scales, or go to something like an M5 or M6 to mount them? M4 seems a little on the week side, even though it doesn't really need to be strong.

I still haven't got mine installed - but the shop space (garage) is almost cleaned up after the move, so its getting closer. :)

I used M6 allen head bolts of 12.9 grade to attach the scales to the machine.

Probably overkill but it was the only allen head bolts I had available.

Attachments

• PXL_20210613_113749387.jpg
    PXL_20210613_113749387.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 182
  • PXL_20210613_120118900.jpg
    PXL_20210613_120118900.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 184
Back