Joining the Takisawa club!!

Mine is also a single speed motor, Mine is also the Yuasa version was said to be a bit different, not sure how...

Hi Jeff,

If you have the 2 holes over the ways, You might consider trying to drill an equivalent hole where one is missing, and hope that the passageways are cast in.

Ray

Hi Jeff,

If you have the 2 holes over the ways, You might consider trying to drill an equivalent hole where one is missing, and hope that the passageways are cast in.

Ray

You read my mind!

Im also thinking it might be time for new belts!

Did you go with the 63's or 64's. The belts on mine are A66's

Attachments

• 1106192123_HDR.jpg
    1106192123_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
I used Dayton 4L640.

I will try and get you some measurements to locate the hole as well as depth tonight

BTW: OT I know, but do you know is anyone ever cast some new cross-feed nuts for the Rockwell mill?

Ray

Question for fellow Takisake owners: My tailstock quill lock is not very aggressive and I'd like to adjust it, but can't figure out how. I have taken the tailstock off to work on the taper offset system, but that did not show anything about the quill lock, and the exploded drawings don't seem to have the detail needed. Any tips on how to get the lock lever out would be appreciated. My lathe has been painted over, with pretty good paint, but by a very enthusiastic painter...even painted over the oil sights, the Aloris tool post, everything on the tailstock except the quill itself, etc. It makes it harder to see minor fastener details, and short of scraping off all the paint, some skilled advice would help reduce the search.

I used Dayton 4L640.

I will try and get you some measurements to locate the hole as well as depth tonight

BTW: OT I know, but do you know is anyone ever cast some new cross-feed nuts for the Rockwell mill?

Ray

I don't. There was talk many years ago in the rickwell mill forum of trying to di a ball screw conversion but I don't think that went anywhere.

I'd be up for getting in on a new casting and I know a couple other guys that might want in as well. Wonder if there is enough meat to bore them out and sleeve a new thread in there? Maybe once i get this new mill put back together ill tear the Rockwell apart. =)

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Question for fellow Takisake owners: My tailstock quill lock is not very aggressive and I'd like to adjust it, but can't figure out how. I have taken the tailstock off to work on the taper offset system, but that did not show anything about the quill lock, and the exploded drawings don't seem to have the detail needed. Any tips on how to get the lock lever out would be appreciated. My lathe has been painted over, with pretty good paint, but by a very enthusiastic painter...even painted over the oil sights, the Aloris tool post, everything on the tailstock except the quill itself, etc. It makes it harder to see minor fastener details, and short of scraping off all the paint, some skilled advice would help reduce the search.

I just unscrewed the ram and slid the lock part out. The handle side was stuck. There was a threaded hole in the casting so i cleaned it out thinking maybe it was locked in with a set screw. But once I didn't see a set screw I just gave it a couple bumps and it came free.

Attachments

• 1107190845.jpg
    1107190845.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 1107190846a.jpg
    1107190846a.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Excellent, Zamboni2354. Thank you. Pictures are very helpful. I’ll give that a try.

Excellent, Zamboni2354. Thank you. Pictures are very helpful. I’ll give that a try.
I found that with both sides moving it was clamping stronger but the travel was limited with the pin in the casting. I took it out and can really clamp it down. I should be able to put a thin shim in so that it'll clamp within the range it's supposed to with the pin installed.
Jeff

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Back