Just ordered the PM-1236T Lathe - Need some help please...!

Just going by what this invoice says, Restocking fees apply to all returns, It doesn't state on hold or shipped just says all returns & deposits on ordered machinery are none refundable... My Lathe is on back order till mid April.

I've had no Issues with Precision Matthews, I have talked on the phone with them a few times, they always answer question, are polite and have patience, same can be said about grizzly as well.

I don't blame anyone but my self, if I buy a sail boat and I don't know how to sail, Its on Me. I was under the impression I had to get BXA size for this lathe, ill call PM now to verify..!

I called and talked to John at Precision Matthews and explained my issue, he was very patient with me, I specifically asked if I can use my AXA QCTP and tooling, he said no AXA is not an option.

He went on to say I can use all my old tooling, but in order to meet the center tool height of the new lathe by design a BXA QCTP will be required.. he said he knows there are some clever people out there that modify AXA's to work with this lathe, but the BXA is what I need... I left it with that.

John put all my question to rest and BXA it is. Ill give away the AXA stuff but keep the tooling.

I appreciate all the input and help from every one and now have a direction to head towards. thank you..!

1677017698013.png

Last edited:
I can’t say if your existing tooling will work just as well as the new tooling since I don’t know what you have and the quality of it, but size wise, I have not seen any rigidity problems with 1/2” and smaller tools on that lathe. I am not a production shop, so I don’t push things to the limit like others might that would need to have the most rigid tools, so what works for me might not work for someone else. Boring bars are always better to be as large a diameter as possible, and the AXA is limited to 3/4”, so if you plan on doing a lot of deep bores where rigidity is very important, the BXA would be better. The BXA size opens up more tooling options, but that only matters if it is something you would want to use. If they are going to charge you a cancellation fee, then I would probably keep the BXA and then sell the AXA separate from the machine to recoup as much of that cost as possible.

I had to modify the T slot bracket for the compound on my AXA to fit the compound slot, but you might need to do that with the BXA as well. I’m not sure what gets supplied with that and if it fits without any modifications. If you don’t have the means to mill the bracket to fit the slot, then that could be the deciding factor.
Good call - Interestingly enough the BXA T-nut does have to be modified but they are including that in my order so I don't have to modify it my self, I will be good to go when i receive the lathe... thank you for the heads up because it prompted me to ask that very question.

Hey Mr Mike, Congratulations on your new lathe! I have had my 1236T for just over a year and love it. I can't help on the BXA vs AXA question. I have the BXA QCTP on mine, it works fine. It seems like there was discussion about the Chinese 1236 needing the AXA tools. Anyway, you will enjoy it, it's a nice lathe.
I've tried to find that thread using the forums search, I'm not seeing any thread like that... is there any chance you can remeber or find it please...?

I would go with a BXA QCTP and holders, more rigidity and more options such as bigger boring bars, blades, etc. If you use carbide insert tooling they are more common with the 3/8" inscribed circle of the BXA, AXA is usually smaller. If you have some questions on the tooling options you may check out David Best's book on indexible tooling for the lathe, in the long run it will save you from making mistakes and maybe spending more (or throwing out the cheap stuff that didn't work, and you couldn't figure out why). I would not recommend buying one of the indexible holder kits, read David's book he gives good recommendations as to where to start and what to get.

I previously owned the PM-1340GT, the 1236T is pretty much the same lathe and just a tad smaller in dimensions. They gave up a few things in the process to make the 1236T a bit less. The hardened gears should not be a factor for a hobbyist lathe, we will wear out long before they do. You might look at the foot print of the 1236T vs. 1340GT, if I recall on the stand the floor foot print is pretty close. I personally recommend going with the 3 phase version and doing what I call a basic VFD install that is posted elsewhere. Mostly from a safety standpoint of view you get electronic acceleration and braking, speed control on the fly, and better surface finish.

The chuck mount on the 1236T and 1340GT is a D1-4, so the chuck you have should fit assuming it is 8" and under. The swing on the 1236T is slightly smaller so a 10" is probably a nit big. When I bought my 1340Gt I went through a lot of the rookie mistakes, and then learned buy the best you can afford, rather than buying 2-3X to get there. Just my opinion.

The 1236T/1340GT is a much better lathe then the same size Grizzly and better service.
Just curious the David Best's book I found was 60.00 on amazon, is that the correct price...? Most lathe books I find are in the 20.00 range so I figure I should check. Thanks...

Last edited:
I've tried to find that thread using the forums search, I'm not seeing any thread like that... is there any chance you can remeber or find it please...?

I don't recall where I saw that info. Most people say that both will work. Hang on to your AXA stuff until you get your new lathe and check it out. And then sale the one you don't want.

Sorry man, I'll keep looking.

To my Surprise and dismay there are only a couple videos on YouTube for the 12X36T & 1340GT None of the videos were for setup and testing, I'm guessing maybe due to their cost these lathes aren't very popular with hobbyist.

Last edited:
You'll probably be able to use both. The advantage of BXA, it's more rigid.
My 15X50 called for CXA but there are times when the BXA would have worked fine. The Aloris CXA QCTP and holders are much heavier than BXA though.
But, I think we can all agree, you are as rigid as your weakest point.

I can’t say if your existing tooling will work just as well as the new tooling since I don’t know what you have and the quality of it, but size wise, I have not seen any rigidity problems with 1/2” and smaller tools on that lathe. I am not a production shop, so I don’t push things to the limit like others might that would need to have the most rigid tools, so what works for me might not work for someone else. Boring bars are always better to be as large a diameter as possible, and the AXA is limited to 3/4”, so if you plan on doing a lot of deep bores where rigidity is very important, the BXA would be better. The BXA size opens up more tooling options, but that only matters if it is something you would want to use. If they are going to charge you a cancellation fee, then I would probably keep the BXA and then sell the AXA separate from the machine to recoup as much of that cost as possible.

I had to modify the T slot bracket for the compound on my AXA to fit the compound slot, but you might need to do that with the BXA as well. I’m not sure what gets supplied with that and if it fits without any modifications. If you don’t have the means to mill the bracket to fit the slot, then that could be the deciding factor.
I'm pretty sure all the T-slot adapters need to be machined to fit.
I've purchased three sets over the years and all of them had to be fitted.
Just my experience speaking. I don't mean to argue at all sir.

If you buy it separately, they definitely need to be machined to fit, but I wasn’t sure if PM premachined them if someone was buying it with the machine, and he indicated above that they are doing that, at least in his case.

I also agree a BXA will be more rigid than an AXA, but the question is will that be noticeable on the 1236T. It would be nice to see some controlled tests some day to see if there actually is a difference between the two sizes on these bench lathes.

If you buy it separately, they definitely need to be machined to fit, but I wasn’t sure if PM premachined them if someone was buying it with the machine, and he indicated above that they are doing that, at least in his case.

I also agree a BXA will be more rigid than an AXA, but the question is will that be noticeable on the 1236T. It would be nice to see some controlled tests some day to see if there actually is a difference between the two sizes on these bench lathes.

Sorry to butt in here but this is were you guys have me very confused... John@Pm says I have to use the BXA QCTP and holders... I asked if I could buy a new AXA fitted to the lathe and was told absolutely not... where I'm confused is John says no to AXA Due to the spindle center height, and you gentlemen say very much yes to the use of AXA on this lathe.

What am I missing here if you don't mind me asking...? I'm sure someone could put an OXA on this lathe with enough modification, surely no one would want to do that.

Back