Just ordered the PM-1236T Lathe - Need some help please...!

Maybe it's just their stuff won't work without modification, and they don't do the mods. :dunno:

Ask John if the current lathes are any different than the PM1236T I purchased from Precision Matthews in November 2020, and if not, how am I able to install an AXA on my lathe that he says is impossible to do?

This is a solid plinth identical in height to the cross slide that I took off the lathe a couple months back. I think I have some pictures of that if necessary. This is a 1/2” tool in there, set exactly to center height and I have plenty of room above and below the tool block. There is exactly 1/2” adjustment above the tool block, so I can easily use 1/4” tools in there if I wanted to as well. This is a knockoff 250-100 toolpost, so most likely identical to the one they are selling. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the height of this looks ideal to me.

5477EA2B-8888-4411-96E4-B1FAC0FE0344.jpeg

I use a BXA on my 12x36 but it’s not a PM. In my opinion you should use the beefiest toolpost that will work.

I have an AXA and a lantern and I’m sure if I do enough different setups I’ll need them all.

John

Ask John if the current lathes are any different than the PM1236T I purchased from Precision Matthews in November 2020, and if not, how am I able to install an AXA on my lathe that he says is impossible to do?

This is a solid plinth identical in height to the cross slide that I took off the lathe a couple months back. I think I have some pictures of that if necessary. This is a 1/2” tool in there, set exactly to center height and I have plenty of room above and below the tool block. There is exactly 1/2” adjustment above the tool block, so I can easily use 1/4” tools in there if I wanted to as well. This is a knockoff 250-100 toolpost, so most likely identical to the one they are selling. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the height of this looks ideal to me.

View attachment 438789
Hello... I apologize if I was at all sounding rude, I am not trying to ruffle up any feathers here or with PM.

I get that people are using AXA on their 12x36's, My current 12x36 uses AXA that's why I'm confused I have to use BXA on this new lathe... while at the same time deferring to others for advice since I lack the required knowledge.

I believe the consensus here is I need to keep all my AXA stuff. Thanks.

Hello good people...
Any one know if there is a dedicated forum on here for the PM-1236T - 1340GT, Only one I see is the PM Sponsored area, with just a hand full of threads for this lathe.. I was hoping to find a Q&A area for setup, break in and testing... If not guess I will ask mikey if we can get one.. Thanks.

I would read the manual, it is available in PDF. It goes over the basics on setting up the lathe. There are no posts on a step by step what to do, as everybody does it differently. The fundamentals are the same.

As far as AXA vs. BXA vs. CXA it is more lathe specific as opposed to a specific size and depends not only on the tooling height but also where the cutter sits relative to the cross slide. Example is my previous lathe which was a 1340GT and BXA fit just fine, I now have an ERL-1340 and it is more suited for a CXA size. Reason is not the too height, but when the compound is at an angle it protrudes past the plane of the cutter, get too close to the chuck and it will hit the compound. Since I was heavily tooled up with BXA, I made do wit it. If you are just starting out and are not heavily invested, then I would get the right size QCTP/holders so down the line you are not kicking yourself for doing it right in the first place. Your choice.

Hello... I apologize if I was at all sounding rude, I am not trying to ruffle up any feathers here or with PM.
No not at all! You are rightfully so asking questions and I would be skeptical too if I was getting conflicting answers. I am disappointed PM is unable, or unwilling, to explain why an AXA is “impossible to fit” when that clearly isn’t the case. There could be a case such as mksj mentioned where an AXA doesn’t fit as well as a different size, but I haven’t come across that yet, and when I get home later today I am going to see if there is that situation with the 1236T.

When I bought my lathe, I spent my entire hobby fund on the lathe and four jaw chuck, if I had to also buy a BXA toolpost kit, I would have needed to delay the purchase, or bought used locally. Since like you I already had an AXA, I decided to use that and upgrade once I saved up enough for a quality BXA thinking it was necessary since that is what just about everyone recommends. Worst case I assumed I could use the turret toolpost that comes standard with the lathe if the AXA didn’t work at all. After two years of using the lathe, I now have zero desire for a BXA, and am considering the Dorian AXA toolpost as an upgrade instead. I am telling you my experience so that you have an alternative viewpoint, if you are more comfortable going with a BXA as PM is advising, by all means do it.

I am disappointed PM is unable, or unwilling, to explain why an AXA is “impossible to fit” when that clearly isn’t the case.
K so I guarantee you'll find this very hilarious...

I called PM today and instead of picking the Sales line, I chose the Tech support line and talked to Mike, I explained that I just bought the PM-1236T and need to know if I can use all my AXA stuff from my old lathe & transfer it to the new lathe... He said yes.

He said I may have to shim it up a bit, but that my AXA stuff would work fine, He went on to say that he personally would use BXA for more rigidity.

Back