Let's dust this off a little

Never got my license, but my dad had a V-35B Bonanza and my older brother had a C-120 and a C-182 at different times. One of my dad's friends said a helicopter was a group of parts loosely flying in formation. I've never been up in one, but I'd try it once.

Beautiful 120. I had a 1947 C-120. Not a great performer, but sure sweet to fly. Somehow, it got the C-140 D-windows by the back seat. Nice to have the extra visibility.

I have been in a helicopter twice. A company I flew part-time for in their B-55 and C-90 had a Jet Ranger for powerline patrol. I got a ride in that one once and thought it was a hoot. I was hoping to get hired by them full-time and eventually get into that Jet Ranger, but life did not go in that direction. The second ride in a heli was in June of 2020 on my way to the trauma center. That ride was not so much of a hoot. I do fly large (60" rotor span) RC helicopters which for the most part is a lot of fun.
I flew too many piston aircraft to mention. Finished my career in the bird below but lost my medical so I no longer fly at all. I have kept my instructor ratings current, however. (CFI, CFII, MEII)

Attachments

• 150806133628-private-jet---netjet---hawker-800-interior-640x640.jpg
    150806133628-private-jet---netjet---hawker-800-interior-640x640.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Hawker 800.jpg
    Hawker 800.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 9
I learned to fly in a Piper J-3 Cub, moved up to flying skydivers in Cessna 180's and Beech 18's (including an AT-11), then flying fish and cargo in Alaska in DC-3's and my 180. I finished up my career flying air cargo (CF Air Freight and UPS) in DC-3's on the West Coast, finally in Convair 440's which introduced me to nosewheels.
N13AT at Big Creek(Comp).jpg
Picking up Sockeye Salmon on Big Creek beach with the C-47D I flew the most. This airplane has been converted to turboprops and is now based in Germany supporting Arctic research.

If you search for DC-3 Bush Air Cargo on youtube, that is one airplane I flew, but I flew it before they bought it.

I retired from aviation to come home to Oregon to take over the family Tree Farm. I started a rock quarry on a spot that wouldn't grow trees, and it grew so fast I could hardly keep up. Sold the quarry in September of 2008 and since have concentrated on managing the Tree Farm.

I still have my Cessna 180 (serial number 34) and my son (who just received his glider license) wants me to start flying it again. I have the Tree Farm working pretty smoothly, so I may just do that soon.

Beautiful 120. I had a 1947 C-120. Not a great performer, but sure sweet to fly. Somehow, it got the C-140 D-windows by the back seat. Nice to have the extra visibility.
Thanks Mike! Yeah, the stock C-85 leaves a lot to be desired. This one has an O-200 which helps. Decent cruise speed bump too. A lot of people cut out the D windows on their 120's for the extra visibility you mentioned. The 120 I got my tail wheel endorsement in also had the window mod.

I have been in a helicopter twice. A company I flew part-time for in their B-55 and C-90 had a Jet Ranger for powerline patrol. I got a ride in that one once and thought it was a hoot. I was hoping to get hired by them full-time and eventually get into that Jet Ranger, but life did not go in that direction. The second ride in a heli was in June of 2020 on my way to the trauma center. That ride was not so much of a hoot. I do fly large (60" rotor span) RC helicopters which for the most part is a lot of fun.
I flew too many piston aircraft to mention. Finished my career in the bird below but lost my medical so I no longer fly at all. I have kept my instructor ratings current, however. (CFI, CFII, MEII)
Hey Neil, have you looked into the somewhat recent "Basic Med" change to 3rd class medicals? If you were still interested in fun flying, a lot of people have gotten back in the cockpit through that avenue. Obviously, it depends on your specific condition. Cheers

I learned to fly in a Piper J-3 Cub, moved up to flying skydivers in Cessna 180's and Beech 18's (including an AT-11), then flying fish and cargo in Alaska in DC-3's and my 180. I finished up my career flying air cargo (CF Air Freight and UPS) in DC-3's on the West Coast, finally in Convair 440's which introduced me to nosewheels.
View attachment 433216
Picking up Sockeye Salmon on Big Creek beach with the C-47D I flew the most. This airplane has been converted to turboprops and is now based in Germany supporting Arctic research.

If you search for DC-3 Bush Air Cargo on youtube, that is one airplane I flew, but I flew it before they bought it.

I retired from aviation to come home to Oregon to take over the family Tree Farm. I started a rock quarry on a spot that wouldn't grow trees, and it grew so fast I could hardly keep up. Sold the quarry in September of 2008 and since have concentrated on managing the Tree Farm.

I still have my Cessna 180 (serial number 34) and my son (who just received his glider license) wants me to start flying it again. I have the Tree Farm working pretty smoothly, so I may just do that soon.
Wow, what a great career! I'd love a chance to fly any of those, much less all of them. You definitely should get back in the 180!

I had my first flight when I was 5 years old in a C-195. I've had the itch to fly ever since, but life just got in the way. My goal is to start training in 2023...

I had my first flight when I was 5 years old in a C-195. I've had the itch to fly ever since, but life just got in the way. My goal is to start training in 2023...
I LOVE C-195s. Such a majestic and sexy airplane!

Back