Let's dust this off a little

I'm an aircraft mechanic (A&P/IA). I work exclusively on air medical aircraft now. Rotorcraft primarily, but do a little fixed wing work as well. I worked on GA piston aircraft for more than decade or so too, and did some airline call out work, but I much prefer the air medical gig, even if it does involve a lot more FAA oversight.

I have a PPL as well, and a tailwheel endorsement, but haven't flown a taildragger in about 15 years. In fact I haven't flown at all in about 3, despite having a 182 in the hangar. I do mean to rectify that, but will need a medical, and BFR (and some training to get proficient again).

To provide some machining related content, I'll note that my hobby machine shop is in the back of my "T" Hangar, behind the tail of the 182. 8^)

I like to go aircraft camping in the Utah desert. There's a number of old dirt strips, which mostly were built during the '50's uranium mining days.

This is a place called "Hidden Splendor". The approach is "interesting" There are youtube videos of the approach for the curious.

hpim1104.jpg

and here is one from Mexican Mountain. There is a bunch of petroglyphs near the strip at this site, on a hillside left of frame.

hpim1091.jpg

If only....

My parents divorced in '73, they both flew. My dad didn't get back into the air until I was in my 30's and I was already deep into race cars by then so couldn't think about another expensive hobby.

Maybe if I hit the lottery in the next few years, or if one of my co-workers buys a plane, I'm looking up at dad's old Jeppesen flight bag now with his headsets, etc. right above my desk.

Probably would have flown if they had stayed together.

John

61254608713__580F21CB-6115-4714-95E9-E083B0549363.jpeg
IMG_0185.jpeg

Got my ticket on my birthday about 8 years back. Ended up with about 150 hours and a tailwheel endorsement (Fun!) However rising costs meant staying current got more and more difficult. That and the brain surgery shut me down 4 years ago. I never lost my medical, just let it expire. Theoretically I'm cured and regaining the medical is possible so I'd like to get back in someday. But if so I need a better plan, frittered too much time and money away for too little result.

Thanks Mike! Yeah, the stock C-85 leaves a lot to be desired. This one has an O-200 which helps. Decent cruise speed bump too. A lot of people cut out the D windows on their 120's for the extra visibility you mentioned. The 120 I got my tail wheel endorsement in also had the window mod.
The C-85 was also known for cracked cylinders. Interestingly enough, an approved replacement was to use O-200 jugs.

The C-85 was also known for cracked cylinders. Interestingly enough, an approved replacement was to use O-200 jugs.
The cylinder bore on the C-75 through O-200 four cylinder engines is the same (4.063") and the change in displacement is the stroke (starting with the A-series, 3.625" up through the C-85, then 3.875") increased by 1/4". These engines evolved, rather than changed.

I knew a couple of A&P's that bored out an A-65 to fit O-200 cylinders and put it in a J-3 Cub. It performed like a C-85, and no one else (including the FAA) knew the difference!

I'm an aircraft mechanic (A&P/IA). I work exclusively on air medical aircraft now. Rotorcraft primarily, but do a little fixed wing work as well. I worked on GA piston aircraft for more than decade or so too, and did some airline call out work, but I much prefer the air medical gig, even if it does involve a lot more FAA oversight.

I have a PPL as well, and a tailwheel endorsement, but haven't flown a taildragger in about 15 years. In fact I haven't flown at all in about 3, despite having a 182 in the hangar. I do mean to rectify that, but will need a medical, and BFR (and some training to get proficient again).

To provide some machining related content, I'll note that my hobby machine shop is in the back of my "T" Hangar, behind the tail of the 182. 8^)

I like to go aircraft camping in the Utah desert. There's a number of old dirt strips, which mostly were built during the '50's uranium mining days.

This is a place called "Hidden Splendor". The approach is "interesting" There are youtube videos of the approach for the curious.

View attachment 433353

and here is one from Mexican Mountain. There is a bunch of petroglyphs near the strip at this site, on a hillside left of frame.

View attachment 433355
Sweet plane! Miss mine everyday. Cool strip too, just saw a youtuber land there recently. I knew there were some more wrench-bendin' A&P's in here!

If only....

My parents divorced in '73, they both flew. My dad didn't get back into the air until I was in my 30's and I was already deep into race cars by then so couldn't think about another expensive hobby.

Maybe if I hit the lottery in the next few years, or if one of my co-workers buys a plane, I'm looking up at dad's old Jeppesen flight bag now with his headsets, etc. right above my desk.

Probably would have flown if they had stayed together.

John
Cool history John! You should look for someone selling shares of a plane near you. It's a much more economical way to own. Just need the right partners.

Got my ticket on my birthday about 8 years back. Ended up with about 150 hours and a tailwheel endorsement (Fun!) However rising costs meant staying current got more and more difficult. That and the brain surgery shut me down 4 years ago. I never lost my medical, just let it expire. Theoretically I'm cured and regaining the medical is possible so I'd like to get back in someday. But if so I need a better plan, frittered too much time and money away for too little result.
Check out "Basic Med" through AOPA. It's an easier path to getting your medical back. https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/basicmed
Good luck man!

Sweet plane! Miss mine everyday. Cool strip too, just saw a youtuber land there recently. I knew there were some more wrench-bendin' A&P's in here!
I assume "A&P" is the equivalent of our AME?

I'm AME qualified. Although my ticket has lapsed by now.

Most enjoyable job was building engines. I especially enjoyed building the J85. Very satisfying to drop a front frame on the stand and build the engine back to the turbine section and see it perform in the test cell. It's not particularly powerful (unless it's the AB variant) but it's just a nice simple turbine that's fun to put together.

I assume "A&P" is the equivalent of our AME?
Yeah, it stands for airframe & power plant. In the U.S. you can get either an airframe license or power plant license or both. There is a third "general" license that is required with either of the other two. So, everyone that gets either the "A" or "P" will by default have the general. We don't include the "G" in the acronym. Also, our A&P license never expires and there is no currency requirement.

Back