Lifting a lathe versus force on spindle bearing

It wouldn’t be the method I use but.... I’m sure I read on Practical M website’s rigging forum this exact same subject with many people responding that they do lift lathes by the headstock. I doubt it did any damage.
As far as the opinion that Clausing has it wrong with their recommendation of where to lift.... I seriously doubt that being the case. As beefy as the bed of the 5900 lathe is.... I’m sure lifting a 1200 # load under the cast iron bed does absolutely no damage at all. The manuals and lathes came out in the 50’s and nowhere is there a person who even claims that their lathe got damaged by following those instructions.

Tim9 mentioned protecting the leadscrews which was my main concern in moving 3 different lathes at 3 different times. The seller of my second lathe used an "A" frame, a steel plate and a sling. The sling went between the ways to lift them high enough to put timbers under the bed then the timbers were put on furniture movers to roll the machines around his plant or the loading dock. I personally went under the bed with straps and blocking to protect the leadscrews. Then off the trailer with planks and pipe rollers.
Have a good day
Ray

I have never seen a manufacturer who would recomend lifting any machine using a rotating or moving part of that machine! you always lift by the frame. The consideration is not that the chuck will break off, it is the bolts that fix the headstock to the bed. on a used lathe for instance, are they all fitted? are they all tight? what is the condition of the threads? I have two lathes, a Colchester at about 3/4 imperial ton, and a Covmac at just over a ton (1 imp ton =2240pounds.) The Colchester has a single lifting point tapped into the bed just forward of the headstock, and the machine is lifted with the chuck off using the saddle to balance the lathe. The Covmac has a 1 1/2" hole in the bed casting for a lifting bar and a gap under the tailstock end of the bed for a sling. Pic of the colchester shows, the lathe being reassembled using the lifting point.

Attachments

• lifting point.jpg
    lifting point.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMGP2046.JPG
    IMGP2046.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 24
Not so much that it would do any damage, just more that single leg lifting has always been a thing I tried to avoid. I looked through a random assortment of the manuals I have, and was surprised at the number that recommend a single leg lift. I guess it is just a personal preference, from my experience ion lifting mangled vehicles. It is also interesting on the ways the manufacturers have for attaching the sling. I saved a few. Kinda fascinated at the difference in the way we treat the machines. With setting up, and leveling its like a delicate instrument, with a 1/4" making a difference. But lifting is like hook it up and go.

Also surprised at the number of mills that say to lift from a sling around the ram. seems like a lot of weight put in the two cast iron ways.

sling clausing.PNGslingcintraytop.PNGslingmonee.PNGslingpacemaker.PNGslinghb.PNGslingleblond1519.PNGslingfsdk.PNGslingvn.PNG

That Fig.3 looks like the lifting plate I made. Lathe is only 1.5 ton dry but I can lift wet with a chuck on no problem, very secure and easy to set balance perfectly.

Attachments

• Lifting plate.JPG
    Lifting plate.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 23
Regarding post #39: Mike, if there was an emoji for "what a bunch of freaking idiots" I would have used it
Mark

Interesting, As an apprentice in the early '60's I was taught that when lifting a lathe of 12" swing or less, it was always best to fit a sturdy bar 1.5" or bigger secured in the chuck. place a suitable sling around the bar,

Secure a second sling to the tailstock which has been securely clamped to the bed. The saddle should be moved a s far as practical toward the tail stock to assist with balance. Lift the lathe to it's new position and secure it.

Most lathes 12" and less will be top heavy if lifted from a point under the bed, and not wide enough to get a stable lifting point.

It is also more common to have special lifting points built into the bed larger latches.

Interesting, As an apprentice in the early '60's I was taught that when lifting a lathe of 12" swing or less, it was always best to fit a sturdy bar 1.5" or bigger secured in the chuck. place a suitable sling around the bar,

You guys do as you wish. This seems like the worst possible plan, to me.

I lifted my lathe with sling under the bed. It's a bit risky because it can bend the various screw rods. Lucky, no bent rods. However, I did tied up on top around the chuck to the cables so it doesn't flip. I took out the bottom cabinet stands to reduce weight and so I can lift with an engine lift.

having the license does not mean you have common sense. common sense will keep you out of trouble more then any paper will.. I grew up moving things. I learned to step back and say now what can go wrong with this move. that has kept me out of a lot of trouble and saved a lot of money.

Back