Maynard civil war era carbine, hobby machinist built

Alpha,
Read a micrometer by smell??
That folks is a sure sign of too many years spent in a machine shop.
That Marlin is a sweet piece of work, and only took a half a year? It would take me that long to finish drooling over it.
I won't even ask about drawings till I start on the Favorite (I have one to copy)

Regards,
Maverick

Maverick
I appreciate your reply..I had an original Favorite to copy as well..That really is the best way to proceed if at all possible..I hope you make quick progress with it..... I dont recall exactly how long it took to build the Marlin but 6 months is about right, might have been closer to 4 months..I work fast.

Oh hey let me show you another gun picture..This is a gun that I bought 35 years ago as a non functional relic..Had it in a closet all this time and finally took it out and rebuilt it..Very rare model 65 Winchester in .218 BEE...Barrel had 14 extra holes drilled into it and there was a ring in the barrel where somebody may have tried to shoot it with a mud dauber nest plugging the bore..I welded over the holes and drilled out the barrel and turned down a gunbarrel as a liner and loctited it in there......Made new loading gate for it. Made the fore end wood , installed after market tube magazine and the steel nose cap.Refinished everything..Good shooter now- after only 35 years.

Incidently..I make all my own chambering reamers and want to mention that making the .218 BEE chambering reamer was most difficult one I ever made.It having both a rim and a shoulder on the same cartridge made for need of precision that was tough to attain with my setup..

100_1913.jpg100_1897.jpg100_1905.jpg

100_1913.jpg

100_1897.jpg

100_1905.jpg

Heres that muzzleloader I showed the color case hardened receiver pictures a few posts back. It isnt a replica of any authentic rifle, its just a gun to play with...Its finished now except I find that I made the front sight .080 too tall so I need to mill it down and redrill to set the fiberoptic tube that much lower.Again I will mention that I made every piece other than did use a rifled barrel blank.This is my first muzzleloader that I have ever built.. .50 caliber ..I am shooting it at a target inside my shop- 6-7 shots and the black powder smoke sets off the smoke detector..Fun..Love metalsworking..............

100_2165.jpg100_2166.jpg

100_2165.jpg

100_2166.jpg

I don't post often, but I thought I'd let you know that I've enjoyed reading your thread and beautiful work. Way beyond my capabilities.

If this is beyond your capabilities that probably just means you need another tool - thats a good thing ain'it? :) ..It took me a lot of years to get my machines and develop some working tactics that suits me and the tools that I have..Seems awfully easy now so that I cant help but believe that anybody with the time and the tools and bit of practice can surely do whatever I can do if not better..Keep doing what you enjoy and work yourself up to where you want to be..Its all fun.Thanks for replying mjonkman:))

I don't post often, but I thought I'd let you know that I've enjoyed reading your thread and beautiful work. Way beyond my capabilities.

very nice muzzel loader and a few others since i last checked in.

very nice muzzel loader and a few others since i last checked in.

Thanks DirtyJim
Thats all. I dont have anything else near finished. Be months and months till I have anything else to show..Working on a revolving percussion cap rifle today but I am gonna only do a bit more on it then set it aside and work on something else.Might start on building a Sharps or a Burnside.Havent decided.

I have now got the sights on that muzzleloader adjusted real well and off the rest at 50 foot all the shots are going into a squirrels head sized group..That is mighty good for me with iron sights when you consider how blurry my eyesight is..That rear peep with the fiber optic front sight works for me. Theres 6 shots in the one hole of this target..Did I already say this is my first muzzleloader that I have built..Not too shabby for a first one..I like it better than I thought I would.... .50 caliber, reckon thats too much for squirrels?:rofl:

100_2175.jpg

Dirtyjim Yes that one would be a heap of fun..I shy away from projects that require that I carve a one piece stock.There plenty of opportunity to mess it up considering I dont have one to copy and am not fully acqauinted with what they supposed to end up looking like..In fact I should have bought a set of parts like that one for my first muzzleloader build.Would have learned a lot and ended up with one that is right.

I guess I did build one rifle with a one piece stock.I had an old Marlin model 60 that was mighty ugly so that I figured I could build one that looked nicer.The old one had a blond colored birch stock and a painted aluminum receiver and trigger guard..I made new walnut stock, new steel receiver, new trigger guard.. from Gunbroker dot com. I bought a used barrel and tube magazine and the guts of the reciever..Didnt build the whole gun just made the new parts to replace those I didnt like on my old Marlin...a nice .22 now.Uhmm still have my old Marlin 60 too..

100_3973.jpg 100_3983.jpg 100_3998.jpg

Dirtyjim
Another gun I'd like to have would be one of them long barreled kentucky rifles....I have a 42 inch long .40 caliber muzzleloader barrel here waiting for some such project.but...Long full stock like that is mighty intimidating for me..I hate working wood...I might save my beans and buy one ready to shoot............Would you hunt with that'n you showed us?

Back