Mbfrontier's Logan 200 Rehab

In between cleaning and painting the larger parts I’ve been screwing around with some of the smaller stuff. The Logan nameplate had most of the paint off and you could hardly make out any of the printing. I cleaned it up the best I could and picked up a bottle of black and a bottle of red Testor’s model paint and painted the top and bottom parts of the nameplate red and the middle black. Since the writing is raised I just painted over everything. Then I wet sanded the paint off the raised sections and it seemed to come out pretty nice.
IMG_0985_zpstj47dh5t.jpg

Unfortunately, when I sprayed a little clear on the plate it seemed to lift some of the color. I’m letting it dry completely to see if wet sanding will clean it back up.

Also, I was missing a way wiper on the carriage and didn’t want to buy a whole set to replace one wiper. It’s a principle thing I’m sure most of you will understand. Anyway, I measured the other wiper I had and made a pattern to cut some sheet metal. After cutting I bent the sides and TIG welded the corner. Cheater lenses come in very handy for old eyes here. I spent more time on this than one would imagine. The one on the left is the one I made and the one on the right was the original. Small victories…………….
IMG_0992_zpsum2amfjz.jpg

I was able to install the saddle after completely disassembling, cleaning and painting. The rear gib has three bolts that install through the gib and into the bottom of the saddle. The front gib has two screws that install through the top of the saddle, through two spacers and into the gib. If I completely tighten any of these bolts or screws I can lock the gib up on the bed. I was thinking it might be better to work with some shim stock to get it right completely tightened but I’m not sure it would be worth the time and effort. I tightened each bolt and screw separately until the saddle locked up then backed off until it moved. I’d appreciate any opinions on using shim stock on this.
IMG_0989_zpsifhi18b4.jpg

That's it for now.
Mike B.

Cool;

It's the details that make it yours. Nice work on the wiper frame and nameplate. Its so rare to see these early marquis type plates. Most you see are the later "Tombstone" type from what I call the "serial production" 200s. I wish mine looked as good as yours. I wish someone made new ones, but then they likely would not do our early versions.

I did not fiddle with my saddle that much. Got it so there was no play and let it go at that. The real revelation was driving the rack -vs by hand.
It may be something I revisit, but I'd probably fiddle with the cross slide and compound first. I'm sure a lot of things will need jiggering when I actually get to running it.

Keep up the good work, Mike!

That Logan is looking good.
Really a nice job.

I assembled the cross slide and compound rest to the carriage. Nothing remarkable to note here as the assembly is straight forward. I did spend a little time adjusting the gibs to try and get it just right. I never seem to be satisfied with the adjustment. It seems that there is a fine line between taking as much of the play out as possible while maintain smooth movement. I have no experience with scraping parts but I suspect someone with scraping experience could improve the movement and accuracy of my cross slide and compound rest. Maybe something I will pursue at a later date.
IMG_1004_zpsabfxn8kj.jpg

Next, I disassembled the apron. Here’s the apron before starting disassembly.
IMG_0994_zpstqbj7krx.jpg

I removed the hand wheel and pinion gear by removing the nut that attaches the handle to the pinion gear and tapping the pinion shaft out.
IMG_0996_zpscghvpzff.jpg

I removed the rack pinion gear assembly by removing the nut and tapping the pinion shaft out of the apron casting.
IMG_0997_zpslhw5uume.jpg

I removed the miter gear assembly by removing the bolt.
IMG_0998_zpspebaesqx.jpg

I removed the idler shift gear and shifter shaft by removing the lock screw and jam nut. The lock screw limits the amount of travel when the shifter shaft is pulled out and is located in the top of the boss on the other side of the apron.
IMG_0999_zpsg0nzhpis.jpg

I removed the shift pinion and stud by removing the jam nut on the outside of the apron.
IMG_1000_zpstyyqsxtg.jpg

Finally, I removed the half nut assembly by driving the pin out of the lever and cam shaft and removing the four mounting bolts from the half nut plate.
IMG_1001_zpsbjosuze1.jpg

As I suspected, the half nuts are severely worn. You can see how much of the thread is worn away in the picture.
IMG_1003_zpswg2dfy3z.jpg

I’ll be investigating getting the half nuts refurbished. I don’t know how much single point threading I’ll be doing but it would be nice to have the ability. Actually, I haven’t done any single point threading since I was in high school machine shop soooo long ago so I’m looking forward to relearning.

The apron casting, hand wheel, and half nut lever have been cleaned up and painted so I’m waiting for the paint to dry.

The main reason I put this pictorial together is to have it for my reference when I put the parts back together. The assembly is simple but it will help me for sure and I hope it might help someone else. I know there are a lot of pictures here so I hope most won’t have a bandwidth issue.

That’s it for now.

Mike B.

Ahhhhh.... you just wanted to show off your meticulous skills a little. ;-). You will very likely appreciate that you've done this expose when you go to put it back together. As straight forward as it seems right now, it is amazing how lost you feel in terms of detail and nuance when it comes time to put it back together. There seems to be no end to the questions i seem to come up with when i go to do something period. A couple of times I have gotten lucky and found answers in photographs I took for a completely different reason. Bottom line, you can never take too many pics, and I even encourage people to take notes.

Did you buy or make those thumbscrews for your dials?
Nice addition.

Redlineman, the sooner I start to reassemble the better off I am. The appropriate apron parts are painted so reassembly can begin once they have completely dried. I may stick them in the oven for a little while to coax them along. I purchased a used half nut so I suspect it'll be about a week before that is delivered.

Oh, my meticulous bikini and thong judging skills are much better.

TomKro, I picked up those thumbscrews at Home Depot. Here is the link:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...s-3-Pack-99188/203537753?keyword=030699991884

Back