Redlineman's Logan 200 Rescue

Hi, Redlineman.

Which Benjamin Moore Paint did you purchase? I've been looking at the Benjamin Moore Website and it looks like Impervo® Interior / Exterior Alkyd High Gloss Enamel is the only paint I see that will work on metal. Is this the paint you used?

I just purchased a Logan 200 Lathe that I'll be restoring after I run it for a while and develop an inventory of items it will need.

Thanks for posting all this info on your project. It's very helpful.

Hey MB;

Mine says "Super Spec Maintenance Coating. Urethane Alkyd Gloss Enamel" I'm assuming it is specific for machinery and the like. I told them what I was doing and they mixed this for me. Nice color!

Thanks for posting that. I am picking up a quart tomorrow.

Have you assembled your lathe to the point you can tell if the serpentine belt fits the way you want? I'm interested because if it fits well I'd like to order one for my Logan 200. Thanks.

Nope;

Not yet. I'm still stripping and painting parts, mostly in the primary drive, and other odds and sodds. I'm also working on height jacks to raise it. Need to order some leveling pads pretty soon. I ordered a 40" because that is the belt that Logan specifies, and that I have seen others use for this conversion. Hopefully it works out.

Thanks, Redlineman.

I'll keep watching your 200 Rescue posts. I'm nowhere near ready for the belt yet but I'm accumulating a few parts now.

Redlineman,

I was looking into the countershaft on my lathe and found there is enough play that it deserves some attention. The shaft and bushings are worn but I don't think as bad as yours were. I'm going to check with my local steel supplier to see if they carry 1045 steel 3/4 inch TGP precision ground rod and purchase a 12 inch piece to replace the countershaft. You mentioned that the Oilite bushings you purchased had an ID of .751 but didn't mention the OD. I tried to measure the OD with my dial caliper and the best I could measure without disassembly is 1.040 in. Is my assumption that the OD of your Oilite bushings are 1 inch?

Hey All;

A little fiddling yesterday. I cleaned up the rest of the fasteners and bolted the legs/tray/supports/bed together for good. After having it flopping around for quite a while just sitting there loose, it is surprising how solid it feels now. I took this bare-way'd opportunity to stone all the bearing surfaces of the bed down. Although this lathe lead an obviously brutal existence, that damage seems to have saved the machine a lot of normal wear. The usual dings and dents are surprisingly slight, and the original flaking on the ways is still quite prominent throughout, looking very nice after stoning.

I am making 4" steel risers to bring it up a bit. Next step is to drill & tap the bottoms of those and get some neoprene leveling screws to finish that off. This all leading up to leveling the whole thing before bolting the headstock down and adding the other components.

Creep, creep, creep...

Hey Redlineman,

Sounds like progress is being made.

My Logan 200 project slowed down because of the family activities for the holidays. However, I was able to order a 400J10 serpentine belt for $16.00 from my local steel supplier. I used a string to measure the distance between the cone pulleys and I'm pretty confident the 40 inch belt will work OK.

Our serial numbers are pretty close. Mine is 15012.

I look forward to seeing your posts as you progress on this project. It has been very helpful to me.

Redlineman:

Can you explain what you were doing when you mentioned that you put a "stone" to the bearing surfaces?
While I have my bed apart, I'd like to clean things up as much as possible, but what sort of stone do you use to clean them up by hand? I'm guessing this would knock off high spots from dings in front of the chuck area on the ways, but a little explanation of the procedure would really be appreciated.

Please keep posting the pics. Your work is inspiring.

TomKro

Back