Summer Get Together

Several months ago I picked up a JD Wallace bandsaw and JD Wallace Jointer. Wallace is reputed to have been one of the first to build machines integrating a motor instead of using flat belts using direct drive. I picked up a 1940s Dewalt radial arm saw at the same time. Scrap prices on all.

Yesterday I took the motors up to Wooley. He rapidly identified that all are electrically sound. The bandsaw motor is plug and play. The jointer motor will need some bearings and the Dewalt will need the motor will need some additional mechanical assistance. After he carefully and patiently explained how a "repulsion induction" motor works (had to explain it twice, he went more slowly the second time) he identified that with help I could do the rebuild on both and he'd help me through it. Also, he thinks that the jointer motor is a good candidate for rebuild at the summer meeting. Thanks Wooley!

Somebody else also identified motor questions. Should I delay the rebuild of the Wallace jointer motor until then? Would this be helpful to all/some of you? I don't want to micromanage or over schedule the day.

Please advise.

Daryl
MN

Turns out that the motor I was concerned about is a 1.5 horse unit, too big for my needs. So I will not be seeking to have it checked out. On the other hand, if someone would like to trade for a three phase 1 HP motor I would be willing to do so.

Terry,
What RPM do you need?
Are you fussy about shaft size/key, mount, TEFC/ODP, vintage?

Daryl
MN

My lathe and mill both have open frame motors, not sure of the NEMA frame size. They are both 1750 RPM with 5/8" keyed shafts. The only difference between them is that the lathe has a 3/4 HP motor, and the mill has a 1 HP.

My plans for converting to VFD would probably not require any 3600 RPM motors, the 1700 - 1800 RPM range should be just fine for my purposes. TEFC would probably be the easiest to use with a VFD, but I can always adapt something to use a muffin fan on the motors if necessary. I guess I am open to ideas at the moment.

Additionally, I am not in a big rush, but am looking forward to the day when I can have variable speed on both machines instead of messing with the step pulleys all the time and then still cannot always get the proper speed for the task at hand. Since my Logan lathe has a threaded spindle, I also want the VFD for the soft start and stop features also. Then I should be able to do light work in reverse without spinning the chuck off of the spindle.

I see that the Groups section is now working properly! Yay!

Just for the uninitiated, my black powder presentation is modeled after the one done by the guy in this video.

Well, not really. But it sure would be fun!

All, looks as though I finally have my 16inch Whipp Shaper working. Well at least the broken and worn parts are made and installed, and she spins easily by hand. My goal is to get her wired for the gathering and confirm she spins and is adjustable (the stroke was mechanism was all busted up). I'm hoping to toast (iced tea) her first chips in decades with all of you after we, as a group figure out how to grind the tool and mount the stock.

Terry, did you get you motor dilemma resolved?

Daryl
MN

IMG_3768.JPG IMG_3771.JPG

Daryl, looking forward to getting a look at your new baby.

As for the motor issue, no, not really. But that's okay, I am in no hurry. I will bring the motor along in case someone wants it. Just for the record it is a 1.5 HP 3 phase motor, 220V. I do not know if it works or not, it came off of my Keller power hacksaw. It is a bit dirty and definitely needs a good cleaning. Willing to trade for a similar motor in 1 HP, or would even give it away to a good home. I figure it would be better going to use in somebody else's shop rather than being a door stop in mine.

1.5hp, 3phase? I hope she is big and ugly! I presume she was on a 2leg manual starter.
If you aren't to fussy about a frame mount, I'll see what I can find in my cache.
Any specific rpm you need?
Note: I don't have any low rpm motors (not already in service).

Daryl
MN

Daryl, looking forward to getting a look at your new baby.

As for the motor issue, no, not really. But that's okay, I am in no hurry. I will bring the motor along in case someone wants it. Just for the record it is a 1.5 HP 3 phase motor, 220V. I do not know if it works or not, it came off of my Keller power hacksaw. It is a bit dirty and definitely needs a good cleaning. Willing to trade for a similar motor in 1 HP, or would even give it away to a good home. I figure it would be better going to use in somebody else's shop rather than being a door stop in mine.

Wermie, what RPM are you needing in the 1hp range ?

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Okay, the motor I have is as follows: Dayton #3N013H 1.5 HP 220 VAC 3 PH 1725 RPM Frame: J56H Shaft: 5/8" x 1 3/4"

I am looking for the same thing only smaller, I need one in 1 HP for my Clausing mill, and one in 3/4 HP for my Logan lathe.

Like I said, I am in no rush, but if the ability to trade comes along, I can do so. Or, if someone is in dire need of the motor I have, I will be happy to pass it along at no charge. As I said before, it is better for it to be where it is needed than for it to be kicked around unwanted.

Back