Windows 10 Installation Issues

Still running Vista that came with my computer.
I'm definitely NOT a computer whiz so rely on guys I work with who are a lot more computer geeky.
One, in particular, I've come to trust his judgement. Needing a new computer, I'd talked to him and he explicitly warned me off of Windows 8. Said it was an operating system designed for phones and tablets shoehorned into desktops. Told me to wait for Windows 10. Now that it's out, his opinion is "WTF is this c@#* !!!". He also removed it and went back to Windows 7.
I've been considering just having a new computer built and trying out Linux. Lot of people I know are leaning this way, completely fed up with Apple and Microsoft.
Only issue I know of with Linux has to do with driver availability. Any of you using Linux have issues with finding drivers or software problems ?
On McAfee, had a free version that came with a previos computer. Absolutely hated it. I considered it more of a virus than what it was supposed to protect me from.
Constantly updating, constantly slowing down my computer to a crawl, and constantly letting crap through.
IMHO, antivirus/malware/spyware protect your computer except for the stuff they want to have access or are paid to allow access. Let's face it, they're not going to protect your computer from themselves or the software companies paying them for the "FREE" version that came with your computer.

Sounds like you guys need a new go to guy. There is nothing wrong with Windows 10. I upgraded from Win7 to 10 and it works fine. I still kept all my old settings and programs ( and some of them are old).
There is a selection to run Windows 10 and still have the Windows7 desktop. Doing that makes everything look like it did and easy to follow.
I have had several people who upgraded come running,all spastic and bent out of shape. All you got to do is turn off tablet mode. Then they are happy again.

I would agree with Mark. I have been upgrading windows since I first moved to the "new" system from DOS.
The move to windows 10 was the smoothest, easiest I have ever done. While I had gotten used to the 8.1 interface the move to 10 was a move back to flexibility in how the UI functioned. Overall hats off to Microsoft for a sea change in upgrades!

Some further thoughts on Windows 10 upgrade, having 6 computers/tablets running various versions of Windows. The two most important parts when I upgrade anything is to back up my data/email files and more recently run a program called Belarc Adviser. Even without upgrading, I have had hard drives fail a number of times, after the first time, I learned to periodically back-up critical data/files. Portable USB hard drives or adding a second hard drive is simple, and they are pretty inexpensive these days. The Belarc Advisor, a free program, will pull all the program license information and give you a very complete run down of your machine. This is really helpful if you have lost, or do not recall your registration license information. Ken, I would try to run this on your upgraded machine, as this information may still be in files on your machine. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Most of my machines were running Windows 7, and worked decently after the bugs were worked out. It was/is a big improvement over XP and Vista. The biggest problem is all the add on antiviral malware programs, especially anything that is free, slows the machines down significantly and loads tons of crap software without even telling you. I am forever cleaning/fixing my wife's PC machine. Everybody is collecting your data, and eventually we will/are all sheep getting fleeced and their is no such thing as privacy. Two of my PCs were running Windows 8.1, hate their stupid menus, charms and all their media windows loading tons of crap continuously. This also holds true of cell phones and all those "free apps", scary. If you use these machines for business or a dedicated purpose, it is incredible that you cannot simply specify what to load and what not to load, and a simple menu interface. Computers software seems more oriented to shopping, gaming, booking travel...... and a few more nefarious activities.

Since I am familiar with computers and software, I started reading up on windows 10. Several of my computers were getting glitchy from all the prior "software updates" to the point that I eventually had to shut this feature off. Of course Microsoft would not be straight forward and give you the option to directly update Windows 10 like a normal program, they had to make it as an update icon through their obscure patches that mysteriously popped up one day. Six machines, not one had the update icon, and took some web surfing and multiple patches to get the icon on the desktops. A month after the Windows 10 roll out and no update, I decided to install Windows 10 on a few machines with their Media Creation tool. Had some issue with that too, but was able to do some work arounds. Once again, Microsoft seems like they cannot do anything right the first time. I always customize my installs to see what is being installed and what is being changed to your default programs, if you let Windows 10 have it's way, everything will be reset to use Microsoft programs and turn on all the data gathering features routed through Microsoft. Of course it is free, it is an enormous cash cow of data mining and redirection.

Is there any upside, well it does away with all your antiviral software that was collecting data from you without your knowledge, and a gamish of previous patches. The 3 machines I updated, run faster. But you need to play around with machines drivers to get everything functioning correctly. This should work itself out in a couple of months when other companies catch up with their updates. That is about it. The first thing I do is revert to an old style menu system, or use something like Classic Shell, http://www.classicshell.net/ . I hate the default Windows screens with feeds about everything, that I could care less about. I use Firefox browser, as I have more control over what it does and does not do. The Microsoft Edge is a POS, and everything Microsoft does with this upgrade is to make it next to impossible to reset or use other browsers or start pages, as well as a host of other program resets.

Go to the action center through the notifications icon on the lower right corner of your screen. Hit All Settings, and turn off just about everything that is tuned on under each sub menu. Under default apps & features, I uninstall most of the Microsoft installed apps like stocks, movies, .... blah blah blah, unless you like to watch this stuff. Leave these on, and your CPU/hard drive will be running continuous in background with a constant stream of data garbage (this is also true of cell phones). Do the same under Update and Security, try to minimize what is being sent out unchecking or turning off as many features as possible. Even with this some will reset, so you may need to recheck them. Another tricky dick feature is that information and updates is shared between machines without your knowledge "PCs on my local network, and PCs on the internet". Essentially your machine is no different than a viral mule for any other machine on the internet to feed it Microsoft BS. According to a computer buddy of mine, all this data sent to Microsoft is not encrypted, a security nightmare. So on the Feedback & Diagnostics menu, set to Never provide feedback and only send Basic data back to big brother. Privacy, start out with everything turned off. This stuff is just for Microsoft add-ons, unless you want all this stuff.

Unfortunately when it comes to Microsoft 10 installing patches and whatever else, you no longer have any control over this. So a bad patch roles out, or some feature Microsoft thinks you need, and you might be looking at a locked up machine, or another feature you cannot remove. Already had that multiple time with the previous versions of Windows. I thought of rolling back to a prior Windows version, but the bottom line is the older versions will not be supported in the not to distant future and older programs will cease to work or be supported. Like the Linux option, my computer geek friend mentioned that most of his larger clients are moving in this direction. I need to look into this more in the future. Next I need to figure how to fix our Android phones with a new installed operating system that kills the battery in a day, bah bah bah.

Last edited:
I agree with Mark and Jim. I've had Windows machines ever since 1.0. then 2.0 and the big jump to 3.0.
I used to Beta test Windows when it first came out and they sent the final version to me free after it was working. They quit doing that after Win 95 so I quit testing.
I still have the original Win 95 in 3.5" Floppies when I was testing. 26 of them to load Windows.
Let me tell ya, you only crashed it a few times before you learned what not to do because it took over 2 hours to reload with that many disks. That was when a CD Drive cost over $300 and I had a perfectly good Floppy drive. :D
So going from Win 7 to 10 was a no brainer. Like Mark said "There is a selection to run Windows 10 and still have the Windows7 desktop".
You just have to pay attention when installing and just don't fly thru the upgrade. I have some old software for making Cabinet Doors and it even still runs on 10.

Removed Windows 10 from my gamer and went back to Win 7 Pro when I found out I couldn't stop Win 10 from constantly calling/sending data to Redmond. Even with all of the so-called 'security' settings disabled. To nosy/intrusive for me.

Well, I had Win 1, 2, and up too. I was on a WAN before there were IP addresses. My first computer had toggle switches for data entry and I thought I was really up-town when I got my hands on a teletype. Other than old farts reminiscing, it has nothing to do with the latest incarnation of windows. As I posted earlier, the install was successful, although significantly slower than an install of a retail copy of Win-8. My monitor died as I was upgrading. That caused some consternation until I figured out that it was a hardware failure. I figured out the new start menu and it isn't all that bad.

I am likely to retreat to 8.1 when I get a chance. There are problems. Some of the problems are probably not going to be fixed. I killed all the phone home options that I could find. I am blocking almost all ad sites. But the operating system insists on sending personal data.

We had a cable crash 2 nights ago that killed TV, internet, and phone. Its amazing how much we use the the internet. For something to kill an hour or two while the cable was fixed, I decided to play some simple local games. I had a previous, non ad supported version of solitaire. I see absolutely no reason to pay microsoft for the pleasure of wasting time. Win-10 shredded my program and replaced it. It won't run without an internet connection because it wants to fetch adds for things I will never buy anyway. So I had a local version of mahjong that was on the computer before it was upgraded. Win-10 install trashed my fully owned version of mahjong for an ad hyped version of their choice, which of course wouldn't run without an internet connection. Games really aren't my thing and I will survive just fine without either of those, but no one asked me if I wanted to toss my existing software so that I could be bombarded with 25% and more ad content.

So for the important stuff: I have noticed that my computer has been running slower. If I have more than a few tabs open in Firefox, the computer gets noticeably slower. It didn't do that with Win-8.1... and Win-10 is supposed to run just fine on any win-7 or 8 computer. Today I needed to do a shop drawing. I fired up Turbocad-18. Suddenly my computer was like running a 286. It eventually go so bogged down that I had to choose between firefox or turbocad, because the computer would freeze with them both running. I remember the old days when you had to replace many of your programs when DOS was upgraded, but the current crop of Bozos have no excuse. I will retreat to Win-8.1 until it goes off support. By then we'll be reduced to front end appliances that charge us by the minute to look at ads.

Hello Baithog,

I too am an old fart computer guy, toggle switches and teletype on the old iron I worked on as a field service engineer. But before that, electro-mechanical analog computers as the fire control system on our submarine. (The digital portion of our fire control system had 18Kbits of core memory.)

Anyhow, on to Windows 10...

As I said back near the beginning of this thread, I too am a TurboCAD user and had some driver issues when I went to Win 10. (TurboCAD 2015 Deluxe, 64-bit Windows version) But they don't really affect my CAD work at this time.
On the performance issue, I didn't run any specific before and after performance benchmarks, but on my 1-year old Acer Aspire IV laptop, my perception is that everything is faster now on Win 10. In general, programs seem to start noticeably quicker now.
Just ran a test on TurboCAD, after a Windows restart, timing from execution to the file selection dialog took about 34 seconds to finish its various startup processing. Selecting and opening a small CAD drawing took less than a second.
Your mileage will vary!

I downloaded and installed 10 the day it was released, on my Win 7 laptop. The laptop was purchased about 3 years ago, and has been running the same install of 7 since, but it was starting to slow down.

10 installed flawlessly, and sped the computer up to where it used to be when new.

The only issue I had was some loss of functionality while using Word 2003 as my Outlook 2003 email editor. $40 later I had installed Office 2010 and fixed that.

Everything just works, and I have had no problems with file access from other computers, etc.

Mine works great
Wait for your smart phone windows 10 is OK but 8.1 is faster

Dave

Back