1 Million + 1

You haven't said what your budget is, so that of course has a huge impact on your options. And, as has been mentioned, your geographic location has a lot to do with used machinery availability and prices. Concerning moving heavy machinery, as has been mentioned here, it is very doable, but I would caution that lathes are very top heavy and are easily tipped over if you're not careful. I would advise having knowledgeable help available if you decide to move a heavy lathe.
Concerning spindle speeds, I can tell you that for me personally, I have a 14x40, geared head lathe with 40 to 1500 RPM spindle speed range, and I very seldom use the 1500 RPM range. On the other hand, I have used the 40 RPM range hundreds of times. Another important aspect is spindle bore diameter. Mine has a 2" spindle bore and is generally adequate, but there certainly have been times I wish it was larger. Bigger is better.
My lathe runs on 240V, three phase and I use a rotary phase converter. I have never had any desire to have it powered by a VFD. Another important factor is threading capability. Both metric and imperial capability without having to use change-gears is important to me, may not be for you.
You really need to evaluate what your needs are both present and future and make a list of the features on a lathe will be necessary to accomplish those needs.
As they say, just my two cents.
Ted

Well, it looks like you've stated your budget while I was typing.
Update, Ted...

The wife is onboard and the $2K of aggravation bumps my budget up. My thought for new: https://www.toolots.com/ng-frontend...d+Metal+Lathe+BT1440GQTD-3+with+2"+Bore+&+DRO

Bolton are about the worse lathe that you can buy, an absolute nightmare if you speak to anyone that has bought any of their machines. I have also bought an electrical cabinet from TooLots and I was quite disappointed at the quality/packaging, I will not be buying anything from them in the future. One of the most important factors is post sales support and parts, and there are very few distributors that I can recommend. At this level of machine size I would recommend starting with Quality Machine Tools (Precision Mathews), Eisen, Acra, possibly Grizzly. Taiwanese machines tend to be better built than mainland Chinese, but expect to pay about 25% more. Availability is a big issue these days, many of the lathes/mills have delays of 6+ months. Below would be my recommendations in a 1340-1440 size and similar price range, these would be far better than any Bolton lathe.

I'd personally go big.. I owned a Logan lathe for a few years and it just was not rigid enough at ~1k, my current lathe is a 15" swing, 30" toolroom lathe and it comes in at 4k lbs.. I move it by myself with some skates I bought for cheap, a burk bar, and a bottle jack I turned into a toe jack.. It's alot easier with 2 people just to get the thing rolling. Slow and steady is the name of the game making sure any skates you use are not shifting under the base.

I'd personally go big.. I owned a Logan lathe for a few years and it just was not rigid enough at ~1k, my current lathe is a 15" swing, 30" toolroom lathe and it comes in at 4k lbs.. I move it by myself with some skates I bought for cheap, a burk bar, and a bottle jack I turned into a toe jack.. It's alot easier with 2 people just to get the thing rolling. Slow and steady is the name of the game making sure any skates you use are not shifting under the base.
ED9F69E5-E866-4EF8-927F-3442A436508B.jpeg
EC365719-B3DC-4C01-B706-D74ACC6904B2.jpeg
BA5EE846-02D3-4F5D-B1F0-176F2C2E7F8A.jpeg

Update, Ted...

The wife is onboard and the $2K of aggravation bumps my budget up. My thought for new: https://www.toolots.com/ng-frontend/productDetail?id=39181&title=14"+x+40"+Gear+Head+Metal+Lathe+BT1440GQTD-3+with+2"+Bore+&+DRO
John,
Glad to hear that you got a bump in your budget. That will certainly increase your odds of acquiring a machine adequate for your needs.
To be honest, I know very little about the Asian import lathes. I have a couple of friends that have them (one is a 13x40 Kent and the other is a 14x40 Grizzly) and they seem to be mostly satisfied with them. When I was on the hunt for my lathe I had pretty much narrowed my search to a few American, European and one Korean manufacturer. All were only available as used machines. I looked at quite a few machines and it took me over a year to finally find the lathe that I ultimately purchased and I had to travel over 500 miles to look at it. I ended up with what I consider a medium duty tool room lathe (about 2800 lbs) that cost me under $6K including all travel and shipping expenses. I wouldn't trade it for two brand new 14x40 Asian lathes in that <1500 lb range. But, that being said, there certainly is more risk with buying used machinery and it's a lot more effort. Just depends on each person's individual situation. I'm sure that you can get some really good advice on this forum concerning the Asian import lathes and if that is the direction you plan to go, I would listen to advice from those with personal experience.
Best of luck
Ted

I am not set on an Asian lathe. I've heard horror stories and some love affairs - but mostly it has not been good. I do have to live with the wife though and I can't imagine a dammed thing I could make for her on the lathe that would make up for spending $8-10k. That money comes out of our retirement and she'll make me pay dearly.

I've read some bad things about Grizzley products, though I own one of their large table saws and dust collection system. I'd feel better about them if they made me feel like I was getting a deal - I don't know, 20% off or free shipping. PM is hot and cold. I frequent their sub-forum as their tabletop mill is like my Weiss, which I thick is superior to the PM (as much as a tabletop can be "superior"). I listen to some of the owner's beefs about Matt. To his defense, he has a lot going on so he can't make all happy. I think whatever I get, it will be a compromise. I hate compromise, but that is life, huh?

I guess most of you have been through this drill and I expect some of you made a purchase that made you feel good and others, well just got burned. I guess what I am saying is I listen to everyone. I swing this way then that way but soon the pendulum will point me where I need to go. Thanks, All.

John

Great Chinese lathes: Republic 14!
Great Taiwan lathes: Takisawa!

But that picture of the Standard Modern from @artemis is a reminder... Great Canadian lathes: Standard Modern!
--I learned on twin Standard Modern 1554 lathes in high school shop. Nice machines, they were on my search list for sure!

There are a lot of very nice machines out there. You may want no part in rebuilding/repairing a Sagiano or a Stanko, but the right price on a 14" Voest might be worth the effort. Searching for lathes on Machinio and other sites was a morning coffee routine for me for many years. If there's one thing I learned, patience will get you anything in due time. Being in a rush will lead to compromises and regrets. Information is free, soak up as much as you can. And don't get too hung up on carbide capabilities, HSS is better six ways until Sunday. You'll figure out that part later.

• What is the max spindle speed I should be interested in?
    This is the incorrect way of thinking bout the problem.
    I use lowest possible speed on my lathe 10× more often than the fastest !!
    But anything over 1200 RPMs will be just fine.
  • What is the advantage of a gearhead?
    You can switch speeds easily in 2 seconds if you want
  • And if I go gearhead, should I go 3-phase with a VFD for full speed control?
    3-phase is for motors at or above 3 HP and these are suitable for lathes weighing over 1,500 pounds.
    VFD is a useful option, but a proper gear head lathe makes VFD almost unnecessary (unless you are searching for that 1 speed where the tool does not chatter.)
  • What is a fair price for a 12 x 36 - 14 x 40 used gearhead and what NOT to buy?
    New 12×36 are now in the $5000 4 years ago they were $3200.
    Used 12×36s are a buyers market.
    But, buying used is often a setup to acquire a restoration project prior to using your new purchase as a machine tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back