10” x 30” lathe master electrical problem

In 74 and 75 the neutral is going to the same point I just switched the load and neutral side around on the incoming input.

In picture 74 the load is jumper to A1 and in 75 the load is still going to A1 but it first is traveling through the switches.

The on/off switch I want to use is the one pictured in post 50, it appears to have a relay and came with no wiring information at all, so I went online and I copied other wiring schemes using this switch.

Kungfo-- hey bud. Sorry to have left you standing. I received notification in my email several days ago when you posted the most recents. I read them at that time and gave thought. I accidentally forgot to get back up with you that evening. I've been bouncing around between a couple of different things and had an ongoing pressing electrical project that I had to complete.

That switch in #50 would work just fine. Its just a double pole, single throw so it would indeed work in your scenario, given your two separate safety loops.

I did notice how your switch loops in drawings 74 and 75- had been flip flopped on different sides of the page. I caught it. :distrust:

Now then. The design logic behind using the double pole for the main switch is simply to break the hot through one side of the switch and the nuetral through the other side. It's a way the manufacture decided to build a third safety layer into the control circuits. It doesn't necessarily have to be this way but that's the foundational wiring schematic here, so just stick with that and it will be fine. Maybe use some white tape on all your neutrals near terminations, just to signify to you they are indeed nuetral wires...just so you'll know when you take the cover off five years from now.

From your relay-- 5A needs to go to your neutral there at your incoming power feed. That would complete the circuit for neutral portion of the circuit. Only thing I can envision 6B to be, is for feeding a small lamp bulb or LED that lights up when all guards are in place and satisfied to the point that it pulls the relay in, at which point a lamp might light signifying that your 'good to go'. Perhaps the past owner had such an arrangment. Other than that, I can't see anywhere, where it would actually be needed in order for the control circuitry to work and pull the relay in. Perhaps, just cap it off with a small wire nut for now.

All looks well now....just keep your hot going through -one side- of the #50 type switch and your nuetral going through -one side- and you'll be sitting on green then.

Last edited:
Hmm It looks like the on/off switch you chose is actually duplicating the function you had already with the original relay.
The original circuit used a simple single pole, normally open switch I believe. You don't/didn't need the relay latching function of the new switch, just a momentary contact.
Looks like Truefire has a good handle on it though, so I'm going to let him finish helping

With this relay setup a single momentary contact switch wouldn't work for this situation I don't believe. Momentary contact would be broken as soon as the switch is not being depressed, which would cause the relay to dropped out immediately. I don't see any holding contacts (auxiliary contacts) at the relay.

No his original configuration was a latching one- refer to post #1, the only thing needed to fix was to connect a wire from the ? to pin 12 of the drum switch and change the on/off toggle back to a single pole NO momentary. That's it.
Mark

Mark it does run now with it being attached to pin 12, Truerfire thanks for looking back on it, I was thinking this would work I have started making a mock up board with an attached to motor I can play around with. I will try my new schematic on the mock up and then when I have it working correctly I will transfer it to my machine. I did want to add a light to signal it is working so I might just add one there, thanks.

I found my box of relays and I had some Siemens I might add to the mock up board to think about changing this setup to 3 phase at some point.

Back