1340GT decision

My uncle is a TV repairman, and has a b**chen' set of tools :) I don't think that any company offers field service, and for me especially.
I forgot to add I have the 5hp RPC for my DoAll saw.
Reminds me of a colleague I had from Czechoslovakia. When he got his electrical engineering degree his uncle said, “that’s good!! You will make a lot of money fixing TVs!

Is the spindle programmable on that Mazak ? :p Ooops , sorry , I meant the Storm

Is the spindle programmable on that Mazak ? :p

Full c axis on the main and the sub spindle has orientation I believe but you cannot mill on it.

The sub spindle is programmable back and forth in the b axis is what Mazak calls it.

To the OP - if you’re about to have more time and less money maybe better to think about what you hope to gain from the 1340GT vs the 1228? $5k will buy a lot of tooling etc.

Have you run into length or diameter limitations yet?

Length most definitely, diameter not so much. I have to pull the tail stock off the bed to set up a long/deep drilling operation. I cannot use a larger diameter drill bit because it would have to use my MT4 adapter plus the bit, and the tail stock is off the bed again.

Consider getting the factory DRO. You won’t even need to read the manual to figure out how to use it.

I find that a DRO on a lathe makes the work go a lot faster (and easier!). Everybody knows that a DRO on a lathe is completely unnecessary, however.

Available on backorder.....

Available on backorder.....

I had to wait 3-4 months for both of my lathes w/factory DRO from PM. I enjoyed the anticipation.

Would you keep your PM-1228 as a second lathe?

No, it will go to defray the costs, turn key, chucks, tool holders, and a small assortment of cemented carbide, and HSS cutters.

No, it will go to defray the costs, turn key, chucks, tool holders, and a small assortment of cemented carbide, and HSS cutters.

Makes sense. Plus the matter of space limitations, I would imagine.

Back