1340GT decision

Yes that too, it's close enough in size to not make it practical, I can only run one at a time too.:)

Uh oh Mike , you're gonna need bigger tooling ! ;)

The BXAs hold 1/4"-3/4" that I have, what ya got in mind

Will the BXA fit that 13" or is it too small ? I have a ton of CXAs and Fims #4s .

I was wrong, I looked for it. It was dad as the TV repairman.

One thing is go for carbide tooling. 3/4 shank should be a good size. Ccmt inserts from China are not bad. Sure they don’t hold up forever but they are very cheap. The threading tools work very well as well.

I used Chinese inserts to cut the threads on that part I showed earlier. That was 17-4 stainless around 33 hrc hardness. So not hard turning but somewhat hard material.

I had another part that was 45hrc and I had to use Chinese grooving and parting too to cut it and it cut great.

The one thing that never cuts well is 1018 or mild steel. Hss maybe could get a better finish on that.

Sorry just more suggestions. I recommend you check out a guy called robrenz on YouTube he talks about adding a dro the right way and adding way covers to his machine as well as a solid toolpost mount.

I think I’m getting a bit excited in anticipation for you. I have an old American pacemaker and it’s great and has so many features but it’s just bigger than I need. I’ve been think about a new pm machine just so I can have something that takes up less space. The thing is I’m worried about stepping down to a pretty basic machine when compared to some of the features I have on the pacemaker. But the pm machines sound very nice. What I really want is an old Mazak manual lathe but those are rare as hens teeth and when you see a good condition they want an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
If I get the DRO it will be mounted, I have DROs for the lathe, and the mill, both are still in the box, oh and another selling point for the 1228 :)

Check with your power company to see if you have easy access to 3 phase.
{For example:: I do not.}

But you can get a vfd if it’s only the single motor on the lathe. And then there is lots of Beni fits to having a VFD like variable speed.

Back