1940 South Bend 11" 111B 105014 IQR Rebuild By Ulma Doctor

Hi Mike,

I appreciate the info!

Based on the results of your electrolysis and your comments about it, I'm *assuming* that you still prefer using the graphite. If you had to choose again, would you continue to use the anodes or would you switch to rebar, flat steel plate, etc? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Please keep the pics coming!

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Mike,
I appreciate the info!
Based on the results of your electrolysis and your comments about it, I'm *assuming* that you still prefer using the graphite. If you had to choose again, would you continue to use the anodes or would you switch to rebar, flat steel plate, etc? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Please keep the pics coming!
Thanks,
Steve

I would use the carbon anodes, they really gave the best results.
as far as the cathode(s) you could use a sheet, heavy wire grid, chicken wire or whatever you have that is conductive, and lay the rusted materials to be cleaned on the cathode matrix
the electricity and washing soda does the rest!
thanks Steve!

yes, it is and even cheaper and longer than what i got them for mariner!
nice find!

i have been away from writing my progress on the thread but here is an update as of March 5, 2017...

most of my time has been spent on my regular job.
i have been blessed with only fleeting moments of quality fun shop time.
i'm doing metal scraping to repair the crashed compound previously brazed to gain lost cast iron from very long ago.
the cast iron repairs went relatively quickly.
the scraping and re-fitting of the damaged components is not going as quickly, due to my over-attention in scraping the poor mass.
in order for me to scrape the dovetails, i needed to prepare a reference, that process can be seen @
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/scraping-in-a-precision-straight-edge.34485/

i am still in the process of scraping the dovetails, but i do have a few pictures of the work up to date....

compound scrape 11.jpg compound scrape 15.jpg compound scrape 13.jpg compound scrape 14.jpg compound scrape 12.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

more to come in the following weeks!
thanks for reading and commenting!

Last edited:
Very nice Mike! I would have given up and just looked for a new compound, lol. But the work you have done is amazing.

Very nice Mike! I would have given up and just looked for a new compound, lol. But the work you have done is amazing.
Thank you very much Greg !!!
when i started the rebuild, i knew i was in for a lot of work ( waaay, more than i knew i was in for :grin:)
i made the decision, right then, to do the very best job i could produce, whatever may come.
i had no idea of the time frame, and have not placed a time limit on the completion.
i just want it to be as right as i can possibly make it. that may be single biggest part of the delay .
i just try to set a small goal and get that done before i move on to the next task.
making the scraping reference was time consuming, but it was something that was crucial to the next steps i'm making

should have i bought another compound??? ABSOLUTELY YES!!!!!

to be honest, i chose to scrape and repair the wretch, for the challenge of doing the craziest thing i could think of.

should it be done??? Absolutely not.

thanks Greg for your inspiration and kind words, i hope all is well!

Hey Ulma,

I have enjoyed reading your articles on Henrietta, (good homely name for the old girl) Your workmanship is excellent, as is your work/conservation/historical and general love for this old machine If anyone was to ask me "did the man carry out an uneconomical repair?, Iwould have to concurr you bet", But you have the same ethos as me cost & time considerations are way down the scale, It all bo8ills down to the love of venerable old iron which made our nations great, your lathe is in the same genre as my big slotting machine, Old fashioned Yes, built at the beginning of the second world war , and was responsible for pulling us all out of a real mess! Both unsung heroes
Last autumn, I ventured down to the North of England to purchase a little Zyto lathe , It is a London build , first saw the light of day in its embryo form many years ago I think just after the first world war, My example which I obtained was one of the firms last designs late 1940-to mid fifties, I purchased it from a thoroughly nice & decent English gentleman , who could not have been more helpfull if he had tried, Like Henrietta it was in a poor state, very dirty, but after months of cleaning up came a little lathe with virtually zero wear, and minimum damage, only the bronze bearing shells wich I had to remake.
Unlike Henrietta which is a production lathe , my lathe is a small 3&1/4" centre height x 12" between centres screwcutting lathe, built for the home craftsman, She is a cone drive lathe from an overhead countershaft (Missing ) So I have now began making a suitable countershaft with fast & loose pulleys and matching cone , Like your lathe flat belt drive, I have been taken to task , by "experts" , for wasting precious time repairing a machine of an outdated pattern, when sitting across from it I have a really nice Myford , A make of lathe which superseded it as regards the general British home shop guy from the late fifties onwards, But it is little pattern of machine upon which was made superb model engines and other lovely things in its day. A nice homely thing from my early teenage years , Guess Ulma it all boils down to love of old iron.

Ulma, I most certainly am looking forward to your final report on your lathe ticking over. Keep up the good work.

Thank you core-oil,
i have enjoyed sharing my experiences with like minded folk.
i enjoy hearing stories of others saving old iron from the hands of the scrapper and giving them new life,
if there were such a tome,
i just would like to be mentioned in that book :)

i look forward to making the last entry in this thread!
all the best!

Back