1st,& 2nd knurl

:cautious: OK, going out, and erasing these, and give it a try:)

Since we’re on the subject of knurling how many passes does it take to get a correct knurl. Is their a specific depth with each type of knurl or is it visual/appearance?

I was going to part this off, but turned it instead, and did a short power feed on, and manual back off. I then turned it down again, and did a static impression with only moderate pressure, and confirmed my thoughts, unequal impression. Before I tried to do the static impression I checked dimensions, no taper. I was going to try another run, that's why there is a small shadow on the leading edge. So what is causing me to not have a flat equal impression? I am using a 1-2-3 block to square the tool post to the chuck.

On the aluminum, brass, and copper I did up, I'd disengage the feed and stop when I got to the desired position, change the direction, start it back up, increase the pressure while using a mirror to see it, and then engage and go back to the beginning.
A double pass so to say.

Mike, is it me or is there a dip in the middle of your work piece? If so, that's your answer. Look at pic #1 above.

I think it's optical Mike, that piece measured out over the short length. I parted that off, and did a longer piece, I'm only using a dial caliper, but it's measuring out. This episode was back, and forth passes, with tightening at the turn. It appears to make a better looking knurl, like I said it is an unidentified type of steel. Keep practicing, pau for tonight.... Well it seems the left end is still under developed, I'll DTI the shaft for a better reading tomorrow.

Please check something for me, Mike. Are the set screws that hold your pins tight?

One was loose before this last pass, both were tight for this one though.
This bar is taking a lot of pressure, and making a good amount of heat in the process.

I cannot find where I got this piece from, I could be wrong but it might be stress proof drops. I do not really know for sure.

Back