2015 POTD Thread Archive

Banged out a couple highway foot peg brackets for my cycle:

C20EE792-317D-4CE0-835E-6304CD92CDD0_zps8eqj4qeo.jpg

E1D3F71B-7693-423F-A3EA-78741ADA4501_zpsyobcy4tl.jpg

The chromed pegs are form an old set I had lying around.

The brackets are made from some scraps.

Have yet to clean the brackets up and run them under the buffing wheels.

They're good and solid. The great thing about making them myself is I was able to angle them just right when open to fit the turn of my feet in the most comfortable position.

It was all done on the Atlas 10F using the milling attachment. Worked OK, but it was a bit of fooling around to get it done. Will be looking for a bench top mill in the future.

Last edited:
Great white
Would you put some pictures up in the Atlas lathe section showing your milling attachment fitted and if possible in action .
I'd love to see what I'm missing out on .

Dave

so here is the finished indicator holder I made for tramming, I showed the holder part in as previous post. I used some 3/4 steel, turned .500 ends, one an inch long the other about half inch. tapped one end M5 to attach to the holder. then I put it between centers and turned the od to about .725 or so, put in 50deg angles on each end. then I polished it with 400gr emery. after I was happy I chucked it into my Bison indexer, I ran a coated Accupro ball nose end mill over it to produce 8 flutes, I was amazed that when I checked the tool runout with the interapid tenth indicator it was one tenth TIR, lucky me. not shown is the counterbored SHCS holding the arbor to the holder on the bottom. it may not be as quick as using an indicol but its pretty ridged, and im able to sweep the full table width where-as before I was just holding the stem in a collet and could only sweep about half the width of the table, not very accurate for tramming.
tram0.jpg
tram1.jpg
tram.jpg
tram2.jpg

and just for show, my Taft-Peirce v-block :)

That looks nice, I bet it makes the job a lot easier when you have to reset and check the tram.

Well, you guys (and gals) have probably seen dozens of versions of these but you haven't seen mine till now! Not as pretty as some but I am quite proud of it nevertheless. Premiering here for your viewing pleasure, my vise stop. Couple of machining shots first.

20150616_144538_011.jpg 20150616_181914.jpg 20150616_191058.jpg 20150616_190832.jpg

Not so much from my shop, but from my desk at work. LMS has a noga type indicator holder on sale for $29, and there were a couple other things I needed, so I consulted the Keeper Of The Finances, and she okayed the purchases. With luck, it'll get here in time for the weekend. Not that it will help much, as I'm working Saturday morning (major software upgrade), and Saturday afternoon I'll be helping my brother in law run more electric in my workshop. He's got an 8' bank of florescent lights to put up, and I still have to finish the 40VDC power supply for the eye-meltingly-bright LED strip lights I purchased awhile back. Maybe Sunday I'll be able to get out into the shop and make some chips.... I hope.

I decided on the noga knockoff because I despise the regular magnetic base indicator holders. I need two more hands for those things, so I figured I'd give this one a go. I'll be sure to report back on it when it shows up. I'm curious how well it does, as well as the inexpensive DTI.

Check ENCO for their indicator holders. They still have a 20% off and free ground shipping...if that helps.

"VIPSHIP - Free UPS Ground Shipping on all orders! Ends Friday, 6/19/15 at 11pm ET.
SAVE20VIP - Take 20% off your order! Ends 6/19/15 at 11pm ET."

Ken

Great White many thanks for the reply and the links ...I've just spent three video clips worth of my life looking at them.
It is an interesting and useful tool to aim for.

I note that Tubal found slight variations on the alignment graduations protractor .
On my lathe I've discovered the same on the compound slides protractor . It's just under the thickness of the 90 degree graduation line. .

Back