2015 POTD Thread Archive

chevydyl that is nice, That facemill with the wippers makes a very nice finish. It will make some nice projects.

I have scrounged up enough scrap to make a multi purpose bending jig.
No dro, cnc, or complicated layouts; just some circle graph paper printed on the web.
I went every 1/16th of an inch out so I have multiple adjustments.
I tramed in the mill and used some plywood as a sacraficial table.

uploadfromtaptalk1434247471385.jpg

I glued the graph paper down with some spray adhesive, center punched my marks and drilled some holes.
A center mark with the letter stamp set.
uploadfromtaptalk1434247646693.jpg

I turned some 4" circles for this particular job, in the future I will make a whole set from .500 ( hardened pins) to 6".

I made the ""hoops" in about 20 minutes.
uploadfromtaptalk1434247853130.jpg

There is a person on youtube who advertises a setup similer to this for around $250. I have less than ¢90 invested in mine (for the bolts).
Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Safety reminder of the day - Magnets should not be left or used anywhere on a milling machine unless you like cleaning swarf from them and then picking the slivers out of your fingers!
I originally made a clamp for a Noga knockoff mag base to hold my Lil Mister spray arm.

20150605_163451.jpg

I searched through my pile of use-full junk and found an old, very stiff, flexible goose neck arm. 20 minutes to adapt my clamp to the end of the arm and another 20 minutes to locate and mount it to the busy side of the mill, and voila - NO MORE SLIVERS! I also rummaged up a small oiler and installed it inline for the power drawbar. My need to be creative has been fulfilled for yet another day!

20150613_183346.jpg

started a new project last night, a tramming bar, this piece holds the Interapid, im a little farther than this now, I run the slitting saw through it and drilled a hole at he slits end.
john, the aluminum underneath was cut at 2400rpm with steel inserts using the Mitsubishi, I pulled it from the vise and rubbed it real quick with alum wheel polish, how you like that?
clamp.jpg

john, the aluminum underneath was cut at 2400rpm with steel inserts using the Mitsubishi, I pulled it from the vise and rubbed it real quick with alum wheel polish, how you like that?

That is absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to get mine. PM sent to you.

john that looks nice, I'm goning to have to see if I can find something like that for my mini mill, as what I have now does not do that well, even when I regrind and sharpen all my hss or use carbide ones.

Bodged this up today in the shop. Scrap of steel, and some 5/8" rod from the junk bin. Was going to braze it up, but ran out of MAPP gas. :( Ended up welding them with the little Lincoln flux-core wire welder.
20150614_131705.jpg

Welded it, cleaned it up a little, and drilled 2 more holes in it, cut off the extra. Ended up with this.

20150614_154912.jpg

As you may be able to recognize, it's mounted on top of the headstock of my Atlas MFC mill, via the overarm lock bores. It's a motor mount, for this:
20150614_154855.jpg

Yeah. It's a kludge from hell. It's the original quick-n-dirty vertical head mount I made a decade ago, but never got around to using much. Today, I had a couple of holes to drill in a workpiece for a buddy. They had to be accurately located, and the shape of the part precluded holding it to drill horizontally. After a bit of head scratching, I drug out that old mount, jimmied up the motor mount plate, and slapped the headstock off the Taig lathe on there. A bit of fiddling, and he had his half dozen holes drilled in the right places, accurately. Sorry, no pics of the job.
20150614_154846.jpg
There's only about 5-6" from the spindle nose to the table as-is. I'm looking at making a pattern to cast an aluminum spindle housing for a much beefier, stable vertical head, using an old Taig spindle I have on-hand. This is light-duty as heck, but it worked, worked well, and netted me a 6 pack of beer. Gotta love it when a 'don't even have a doodle, I'm just winging this as I go along' project actually works on the first shot.

That is some serious home engineering!

I must designed it well & have done my calculations brilliantly for it worked like a dream this morning when I cleaned all the crud out the bottom of our 3,000 litre lined pond . The fish even congratulated me on such a fine piece of home made engineering.:p

PS .

;) I lied about doing the calculations , I didn't do any , I just visualised what I should do and scrawked a few lines of sketch on a bit of scrap hard board .

Kvt, were you meaning me? I was showing John the surface finish I'm getting with a mitsubishi asx445, granted I did have to rub some Polish without much effort to get that shine, it doesn't look like that straight outta the vise, it almost looks "wiped" irk hard to explain but it's the wrong inserts for alum, I don't have any as of yet, use for steel.

Back