2015 POTD Thread Archive

i have a handful of odd shaped carbide inserts that appear to snap into some type of holder. i thought i would like to see how well they cut with my 12" craftsman lathe so i took a old china tool stock, the kind with brazed carbides that are cheap, and milled an area to hold the new bit, drilled and tapped a 6-40 hole for a clamp i made out of a small chunk of m.s. and put it in the lathe and tried to cut the threads off a 1/2" grade 5 bolt. no reason, just wanted to try it. well, as the tool was traveling down the threads and taking them off, i could see the tip of the tool flexing up and down. crap, i think i did;t leave enough metal to support the tool, and of course, taking a light cut with carbide is not really pretty either. i probably should stick with has or cobalt and just keep grinding as needed. . .
View attachment 93185View attachment 93186View attachment 93187

I've got boxes of those grooving tools someone gave me years ago, I never gave thought to making a simple holder like that. Great idea!

Built an adaptor to take a rod set of the mag base and attach it to the collet of my mill to indicate the head or workpiece. This was the shank of a 1/2" bolt that I faced both ends, drilled & tapped the center.

INDICATOR ROD ADAPTOR2.jpg INDICATOR ROD ADAPTOR1.jpg

Why did you make a new base rather than brazing the crack in the old one?

The bolt shown on top of the old base wedges into the curved slot of the base when it is tightened. (I think that's what broke the base)
When I made the new bolt, I just made the bolt like a T bolt. The bolt clamps the base against the vise and doesn't wedge the slot apart.
I did not think that brazing would have kept the base from cracking in another location. ( I could be wrong about that)

mhooper

100_0638.JPG100_0639.JPG100_0640.JPG

made a billet points cover for a cb750 still needs a lil more polishor maybe i will satin it, this one actually goes on another bike, i think i will make one from stainless for this bike as i have all chrome engine covers on the other side. shiny will look good

100_0638.JPG 100_0639.JPG 100_0640.JPG

POTD : A couple of things...

This morning I made a carbide tool holder for some sort of grooving tool
by milling out a pocket and tapping in a screw. It seems to hold really well
so will be testing it soon. Also, I used a junk triangular carbide and silver
soldered it to the opposite end of an old Carbaloy Carbide tool. It turned
out pretty good I think and it is a perfect 60 degrees with a small radius
so itching to try it out on my next threading project. Also I made a height
tool for my lathes. The blue mark is for the Monarch and the red mark is
for the Springfield. Also the base fits in my rotary table and is handy to
position it concentric with the mill spindle.

Also, I did the finishing touches to the wire wheel project so including a
photo of that as well.

IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG

Today, I finished making a new axle for one of a friends' implements. It's also my first ever job on a lathe which I got paid for, not in hard cash though, but he let me use one of his other implements, in return.
I ended up cutting the threads with a split die and this was also the first time I ever used a boring bar. Part of the old bearing broke off and was stuck inside the hub. I tried everything, but it was almost as if was welded into the hub, so I put the rim in the lathe and cut the offending part out with a boring bar.
I was really amazed at how easily the carbide tip cut through the hard bearing steel.

Axle.JPG Rim.JPG

Love the orange, you won't be banging into that by accident! Great idea for a stand

Re: POTD : A couple of things...

This morning I made a carbide tool holder for some sort of grooving tool
by milling out a pocket and tapping in a screw. It seems to hold really well
so will be testing it soon. Also, I used a junk triangular carbide and silver
soldered it to the opposite end of an old Carbaloy Carbide tool. It turned
out pretty good I think and it is a perfect 60 degrees with a small radius
so itching to try it out on my next threading project. Also I made a height
tool for my lathes. The blue mark is for the Monarch and the red mark is
for the Springfield. Also the base fits in my rotary table and is handy to
position it concentric with the mill spindle.

Also, I did the finishing touches to the wire wheel project so including a
photo of that as well.
Love the orange. You won't be bumping into that by accident. Great idea for a stand

20150124_202134.jpg
finished up the trigger guard for a benchrest rifle I am putting together for my father. This is my first attempt at fabbing parts from scratch and I am fairly happy with the results. A little thinner in the guard than I would like but this is a bench gun and trigger guards dont get tested too often

20150124_202134.jpg

Back