2015 POTD Thread Archive

I prefer a different kind of glass bottle in my hand around bonfires......and I use the phrase "in my hand" differently.......;)
-brino

That was the good part of my learning experience (which was in 1953). I also have provided copious amounts of "glass" for our bonfires. Less shrapnel in polite company !

When I was working for a consumer electronics design company when we would discover the prototype did things that were unintended they became "Added Features" of the programming. :)

Franko: I would have been inclined to make your bushings out of brass or bronze just to be extravagant. Nice work!

Why yes, I remember the "features" touting excuse from an earlier era.
Now they seem to be called "updates".

Hey Franko,
Watch this from Tom on how to square the vise on the mill. He makes it look so easy.

I've seen his video, Tom. Good video. That's exactly how I've always done it. I even have one of those indicator arms, although I usually chuck up a lever type indicator in the chuck. That video gave me the idea to make slot covers.

He's right. Those indicator arms are the berries. I also agree about the swivel bases. It took me about a week to decide to get rid of it. I have a small 12oz dead blow hammer for the whacking.

When I do it, the vise doesn't pivot exactly on the tightened bolt, so by the time I go from one end to the other, it's moved a little. It usually takes 4 or 5 passes. Then, sometimes it moves when you do the final tightening. More like his second demonstration after the end.

Every time I use my mill since I put the power feed on it, I thank myself for doing it.

I usually only work on short parts. Sometimes I mount the vise on one end and a rotary table on the other.

Franko,
I call those UDCs Unexpected Design Change. You know I had to make a few before I came up with the name.
Mark

Had to force this project into use, my main mod box stopped working so I had to get my project mod into use. It has a micro dovetail sliding door, a dna40 big screen chip, it's not 100% done yet, I'm going to add some copper accents. It's made from 6061, I don't have an area for the screen opened up yet, nor does it have power up or down buttons, they really aren't necessary as I pretty much just stick to 28w and a .9-1.0 ohm coil. The micro dovetail is a precision friction fit so the door doesn't slide off.20150912_084046.jpg 20150912_083905.jpg The pocket inside was cut using an XL .125 4fl end mill from CGS Tool

Back