2015 POTD Thread Archive

It ain't fair, it just ain't fair. Here I am up in the great white north and friggen freezing, and you are tantalizing me that wonderful concoction. I would even bring the beer. Good ol "Canadian".

David

Been working on a new little 6'x10' utility trailer for myself the past couple of nights.Yesterday the big brown truck stopped by the shop and dropped off some trailer goodies. I bought some accessories for my E-Track that is going on the trailer. These items were made by Erickson and seem to be pretty good quality of what I can tell so far.2cpxitv.jpgI also decided that I am going to go with LED lighting so they were also in the box.302az2a.jpgI cut the spreader bars/tubes and they too are ready to be welded in place as soon as I measure and decide on spacing.2ypc4r4.jpgNow some random pictures of several of my welds.2626q9c.jpg2la7ibl.jpgdmv4au.jpgm9n6ah.jpg20f42di.jpgThat is about it for now. Hopefully I get a call today saying my axle is done and ready to be picked up so I can make some progress over the weekend. I would like to get this done as soon as possible so I can move on to jobs where I actually make money rather than spend it.:bounce:Mike.
those welds are terrible lol

2cpxitv.jpg

302az2a.jpg

2ypc4r4.jpg

2626q9c.jpg

2la7ibl.jpg

dmv4au.jpg

m9n6ah.jpg

20f42di.jpg

The cream rising to the top of the crown and the splatter on the side would make me guess MIG weld. Good looking welds!
the "cream" is actually the silicon content in the wire (er70S6 im guessing), I use only S2 wire, less silicon, but your metal to be welded must be cleaner, and I also tig only and don't like the remaining silicon in the S6 wire, im fancy like that, bah haha, that what a master Mig like Tig weld looks like :)

Springfield got a thread dial after 80 years!

Yesterday for the Springfield lathe I made a new gear to drive the carriage
as the old one was about ready to let go. While I had the spin index and
tail stock mounted, I thought it would be a good time to make the gear for
a thread dial for the old 30's vintage Springfield lathe. It took most of the day
after making the gear which took about a half hour. I used a steel driving shaft
and an aluminum block reamed out to .375 for a bearing surface. Then the brass
indicator was made and fitted with marks and numbers. The lead screw is 6
turns per inch so the gear was made with 24 teeth so it would read properly.
It took quite a bit of fooling around to get the bracket to have the right geometry
but finally it was to my satisfaction so I mounted it by drilling and tapping 2
screws into the side of the carriage. It works flawlessly and was a fun
project and a nice enhancement for the old Springfield Lathe.

IMG_0538.JPG

Last edited:
ogberi, that's just rude posting that over an hour before I get to eat dinner!

Finally finished a couple of arbors for my bench grinder as the new wheel I put on had some bad runout in it.
IMG_3745.JPGIMG_3746.JPG
wheel now runs true axially but isn't perfectly true radially. My star dresser didn't take that out, so I'll get a diamond dresser which is supposed to be better for that.

Managed to sharpen 3 out of the 8 S&D drills I got in a trade with Uglydog. Whenever I get tired of writing my grant application, I just go out to the garage and sharpen a couple of drills, nice destress and zone out!

IMG_3745.JPG IMG_3746.JPG

the "cream" is actually the silicon content in the wire (er70S6 im guessing), I use only S2 wire, less silicon, but your metal to be welded must be cleaner, and I also tig only and don't like the remaining silicon in the S6 wire, im fancy like that, bah haha, that what a master Mig like Tig weld looks like :)

The metal is down to shiny metal with a flap disk, it just doesn't look like it in the shadowed pictures.

As far as the cream that is floating, it is not the silicone, it is copper. The silicone in the wire is so very minimal, it just helps to wet out and make a little nicer looking weld bead, has nothing to do with strength. 70k psi wire is still 70 psi wire whether it is a -3 or a -6 suffix.

Solid core wire has a copper coating (as does TIG rod) and people think it is to keep the wire from rusting and merely for corrosion protection, however, it has nothing to do with corrossion protection. The wire will still rust if exposed to moisture. The copper coating is applied so that when the wire is drawn through the dies for sizing it acts as a lubrication against the dies making them last longer. Nothing more, merely to prolong the life of the dies.

Mike.

Went to do some drilling to depth on my lathe and my caliper setup on my tail stock broke. The screw holding it to the clamp sheared off (cheap screws). The screw was a 6-32 in a blind hole. I tried drilling it out but no luck. So I took the clamp off the tail stock cut the area around the screw out with a bandsaw. Then TIG welded the area back solid. Reshaped it and tapped the new hole. The project took about an hour. Thanks to my welder for saving me the time it would have taken to make a new clamp.

100_9847.JPG100_9848.JPG100_9849.JPG100_9851.JPG100_9854.JPG

Jeff

100_9847.JPG 100_9848.JPG 100_9849.JPG 100_9851.JPG 100_9854.JPG

Over the weekend I took a small chunk off of my honey do list. I built this set of paper bin organizers for my wife's scrapbooking paper. This is phase one of three to get the closet organized in her hobby room1cf17946869b61fd8a8a0c72fc02e6c7.jpg

1cf17946869b61fd8a8a0c72fc02e6c7.jpg

I was able to spend some time in the shop last night and got some more work done on my utility trailer project.
I mocked up the tongue, decided on a tongue length and welded the coupler on, then took a pie cut out of the sides and 45- degreed the ends with caps.
1smufa.jpg

The 45-degree ends with caps are merely for aesthetics.
11hc7s3.jpg

Clamped the tongue in place and pulled a line with a plumb bob for the tongue centerline to ensure it is in line with the axle centerline and trailer centerline.
16p8qb.jpg

Some more random welds from last nights work.
214ujvq.jpg

2rpwx0y.jpg

mm4ylh.jpg

ibbfbc.jpg

2wgevc3.jpg

xnx847.jpg

Next up will be welding the axle brackets on and flipping it right side up, installing tires/wheels and working on fenders and the sides/front framework.
Mike.

1smufa.jpg

11hc7s3.jpg

16p8qb.jpg

214ujvq.jpg

2rpwx0y.jpg

mm4ylh.jpg

ibbfbc.jpg

2wgevc3.jpg

xnx847.jpg

Back