2015 POTD Thread Archive

When the storm was still south of Downtown, the funnel was about 1/4 mile wide and making a bee line straight for my neighborhood. It was moving pretty fast, about 30 mph. It got unorganized on it sway further north, but powered up again and split in half. The worse parts went west and east of me and the one that went east developed that wedge tornado.

Lots of houses got torn up and so far about 5 people have been found killed.

IMG_9732 - Copy.JPG
Today, I completed a set of dobs for a friend. 1/4" dia and 2" long brass.
Have the lathe apart for repair and had to do all the work on the mill.

Last week.......
The lathe headstock and base mounting surfaces weren't flat so I had shimmed them to get solid contact and align the headstock to the ways.
As the lathe was apart to replace the bearings anyway I wanted to see if I could scrape those surfaces in so shims weren't needed.IMG_9728 - Copy.JPG
To " see " what the contact was I poured the blue on till it started to run and set the headstock back in place.
That showed about 1/2"square total contact on three corners.
These pictures show the pattern after about 6 hogging passes and a couple of light ones.
IMG_9726 - Copy.JPG

In all I removed about .009" and got solid contact down each side. Would've had to remove another 5 to 6 mills for solid contact and since the tailstock also has to be adjusted I decided to stop there.
Am awaiting a seal so I can assemble it and learn if it's aligned correctly. IMG_9726 - Copy.JPG

Franko,
Glad to read that the worst of it missed you. Nature can be a real Mother.

Back