2015 POTD Thread Archive

Wow some productivity here. I cleaned up my lathe bed and got the serial # and sent for the card. Then I worked on the cross slide and compound to get them ready for the electrolysis tank.

His and her custom wedding rings. Hers is just a band to roughly match her engagement ring band and mine has a copper inlay. Both rings were turned from solid Titanium. The copper is from a piece of type L tubing that was cut into a strip, heated and hammered into a dovetail groove. The loose ends were joined by silver solder and you can barely see the joint. I needed a magnifying glass to find it.

Watched your video with the wife last night...I now am expected to make her a ring. 8)

its not in my shop yet, but i just bought this, 9x42 3hp variable speed. $950

Congrats on what looks like a FANTASTIC price! ... now, where's that smiley for "green with envy"???

Very nice I am jealous too. I've got a few projects that would come in handy for.

well I gotta say it took along while to find it, I had a few others in my sight, but a friend who owns a machine shop kept telling me NO to everyone of them that I showed him, he was ok with this one :cool:, although its not American iron, it has hardened ways, not a spot on the table, and was made in 1991. he was very adamant that I do not buy a machine unless it has chromed or hardened ways. I had bought my harig from my friend, its a 60's machine and still shows the hand scraping marks in all of the ways, got that machine for $600 :chunky:

Well I got my serial # card print out today and found out I do have a heavy 10, and that the weird # I found on the bed was the bed serial #.serial number.jpg

I also got my lathe bed in the electo tank and cleaned off my welding table. Cleaned off about 1/3 of the benches I have down both sides of my shop. Then tomorrow I will try to get my heavy work bench cleaned off.

now im jealous, the serial tag was missing from my Atlas 12x36, as was the nameplate on the head stock. mine came with a fresh coat of John Deere... I always wondered if the nameplate on the headstock for an Atlas lathe, or a Craftsman had the same mounting holes.... anyone know this? I was thinking mine was a mid 50's machine, it doesn't have the lever for cross feed, pull type, and the PO also had changed the headstock bearings, for what reason I do not know, he even said there wasn't anything wrong with them, just did it as part of the overhaul, so there went that possible dating info.

what year is your SB?

Back