2015 POTD Thread Archive

Not that I am aware of, the tag at the end of the bed has the serial number but mine was removed, and when the factory installed the headstock bearings they would engrave the date on the bearing race, so with out those I'm SOL for dating my lathe other than comparing it to known examples, that's why I think mid 50s

Oh I see, well as long as you can order parts for it if you need them that is all that counts.

Well today went well got my lathe bed in the electro tank. And cleaned up a bunch of other parts so they can get cooked too.

electroloysis tank.jpg

well, its not the only thing that counts, I would really like to be able to pin down the year of my lathe, it would also be nice to have the model number..... and its rather naked without the tags, I guess I could throw an atlas badge on it, but maybe its a craftsman

Well today started PT for my knee so didn't get but a couple hrs in the shop. But I did manage to get the foundry I'm building, out of a propane bottle, filled with plaster of paris and sand. Checked the parts in the dip and decided to leave them till tomorrow.

Started the makings of a generator tester today for testing Ford Model T generators. Gear will go on elect. motor to drive generator.

generator tester 072.JPG generator tester 071.JPG

The cover is a standard item from aircraft suppliers. I've considered one for my plane, but I'm thinking about using a screen instead... it too will keep the bugs out, and since there's virtually no airflow into the tube it shouldn't affect anything.

My project today, and for the last few days, was to build a new tailwheel for my plane to replace the junky caster wheel that looked like it belonged on a supermarket cart. Commercial ones were all either out of stock, too heavy, and/or too expensive, so I designed my own. Definitely the most complex shape this noob has yet made, and a bit of a challenge on a mill/drill, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out:

View attachment 95596
View attachment 95597
If you taper those bars to the side, you may get some lift out of them as well!! Looks great.

Today, I finished the first of two height adjustment bobbins, which are missing from my QCTP. It took some time as I had to wait for cutting tools that I ordered. The next bobbin should take only a few hours to make and then I have to make two 7/16" BSW studs. I find it extremely satisfying to be able to actually make these parts myself, even more so taking into account that these will set me back almost R3000.00 in our money, when I order them from Italy.

Bobbin.JPG

Back