2015 POTD Thread Archive

Kind of a silly project but bear with me:
I have a cargo van that has an oil leak at the rear main seal of the engine. That is a very expensive repair or very time consuming if I do it myself. It's a small leak but large enough to stain the driveway over time. In this case, a couple of quarts leakage per month is cheaper than the repair.

So about 6 years ago, I modified a heavy plastic truck tool box tray and filled it with cat liter. Keeps the driveway clean, cat litter only needs to be changed every 4 months and cheaper than a seal replacement.

One day a few weeks ago, my wife & neighbor returned from lunch, pulled into the driveway and ran over my cat litter box.
I let it go until yesterday. Having some utility grade ABS plastic sheeting, I cut and thermoformed some new box sides and bolted them on. Then I sealed all of the rest of the cracks with hot melt glue.

Yesterday was the first warm day of the year. sunny and most of the snow had melted. It was great to be in the shop!

IMG_20150308_132221 (1).jpg

Why don't you attach the drip pan to the undercarriage of the van, all the big trucks at work have duck ponds tied up underneath the engine trans. They cannot drip a drop onto my pads, I work natural gas production and a few of my pads are in wildlife refuge areas, where we have migrating birds among other cool wildlife.

Started a steady rest tonight for my 10k. Going to need it to finish another project. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425965835.214722.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425965852.855529.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425965867.981532.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't had much time with the mill other than small projects. Someday I will have it cleaned up , painted and have some tooling to tackle bigger projects.
A friend wanted a brake removed so he can change handguards . For some reason they welded a brake on a 20" barrel ?
In some states, (I believe New York being one) a barrel with a viable thread was a "listed feature", any two of which would result in the gun being illegal. Others such features were, bayonet lugs and pistol grips. Welding the brake on eliminated that feature being counted.

Well today started PT for my knee so didn't get but a couple hrs in the shop. But I did manage to get the foundry I'm building, out of a propane bottle, filled with plaster of paris and sand. Checked the parts in the dip and decided to leave them till tomorrow.

How did you make it?
Can you post some pics and instructions?
I have a big bucket of Aluminum shavings I would like to smelt back to useable form again.
How hot does it need to be to smelt 12L14 ? Got 2 buckets of those.

Was given what I thought was some sort of sensitive drill press. It sat in storage for years till someone posted one on another forum for parts. Turns out its a Hamilton Tapping machine.
IMG_1630.jpg

The table moves up and down with a neat ratchet on the handle to get it positioned. When you bring the work up to the tap the spindle slides up and the friction drive turns the tap in, stop applying pressure the tap stops. Pull down on the part and the tap reverses.
No idea what I'll use it for, most of my work is too big for it but it needed some lovin.
Tore it down, sand blasted all the castings and motor, and gave them a rattle can paint job. The shinny parts got buffed and one bearing replaced for a total of $3.99. Found the old motor in stock, hooked up a cord and it sprang to life running almost silently.

IMG_1631.jpg

Greg

Thanks Mike. Hit a wall; thought I had a 3/4-16 tap, but no. Oh well shooed be here tomorrow then I can finish up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used several different ideas from YouTube, here is a good informative series. backyard foundry tutorial pt 1,

I will take a few pictures tomorrow and post them.

Back