2015 POTD Thread Archive

During the last week or so, I built myself a 3' long and about 2 1/4' wide welding table. I used 1/2" x 8" flat bar for the the top, drilled 4 x 9/16" holes in each and left a 2" gap between each. Both the holes and gaps are to clamp workpieces onto the table and when two or more workpieces are clamped to the table, I know they're all lying equally flat. Three of the feet are welded onto 3/4" bolts and can be screwed in or out to level the table on uneven floors.
I used it yesterday for the first time and it works really well.

Table.JPG

Yesterday, I made a new header locking pin for my combines' feeder house. A steel bolt broke off inside the original and I tried in vain to remove it - until I broke an easy-out off inside the bolt. The shaft is about 20" long and the thicker part is 1" DIA. After wrecking two drill bits, I just chucked it onto the scrap heap and made a new one. It seems that my recently acquired lathe and mill are going to pay for themselves in less than one year! I get quotes on the OEM parts of everything I make and the money I save is adding up rather quick.

Shaft.JPG

Thanks for the comments, 2% lanth is really the only tungsten there's room for in my box, up until two weeks ago I used others, but I ordered this stuff for a special job on aluminum, 3/32 running 210 amps, it held up quite well, following the advice from body at weldingtipsandtricks, although it would split after two parts, 8 1" welds, it was easier to start and provided the pinpoint arc I need to complete that job, so I didn't mind having to resharpen every other part. I'm rambling lol
I have been using ceriated tungsten exclusively. What are the advantages and disadvantages you see with lathanated? Gotta love welding SS. Nice work!
R

2% lanth according to jodys tests held up the point longer on higher amps, and it does according to my own work, blasting 3/32 with 210 amps @100hz after about 16-24inches it needed sharpening which is good results.

I'm filing out a hole in the end of a bar to fit a bit to make a long boring bar and got totally fed up stabbing myself every time the needle file slipped out the woosy wooden handle so I made a new handle just for a bit of practice. Its just a scrap of hot rolled gummy steel but it worked. The screw is too large but I already had that from an earlier mistake so it got used here. Quick and simple.

View attachment 100472

For those with them or as an alternative................. I've used the tap vice for a small BA tap to hold round needle files in the past , using the " T" bar to get things tight and talking it out gives a nice sized handle to work with . Other times I've drilled out 1/2 to 3/4 round plastic rod to just over the file size , put a thread in , then used Araldite to set the file securely in it .

Another stupid lathe micrometer depth stop. The last picture shows it after I put it in a furnace, let it get cherry red, and let it oxidize. This is just an attempt at rust protection. I noticed that on my bandsaw stand that I am working on that the only part that is not rusted already (I haven't painted it yet) is the part of the 1/2" bar I heated to bend.

The only thing that really bothers me about this stop is that the mic head is reading backwards

IMG_3803.JPG IMG_3804.JPG IMG_3805.JPG IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3857.JPG

Another stupid lathe micrometer depth stop. The last picture shows it after I put it in a furnace, let it get cherry red, and let it oxidize. This is just an attempt at rust protection. I noticed that on my bandsaw stand that I am working on that the only part that is not rusted already (I haven't painted it yet) is the part of the 1/2" bar I heated to bend.

The only thing that really bothers me about this stop is that the mic head is reading backwards

That's a nice meaty looking stop .
One thing that's puzzled me ever since I joined the site is that people are putting the micrometer in the stop instead of putting it on/in a simple detachable bolted up block fitted to the aprons end .........that way the readings would be the right way round

Lol you need a left handed micrometer, I'm left handed and I'm sure I couldn't use one even if there was such a thing

Back