2015 POTD Thread Archive

Fixed the ignition in my car :) It was taking a lot of effort to start the car and you really needed to push the key in which wasn't good, especially as we'll be selling it soon. Got 2 new keys cut, didn't fix the problem. Got a new ignition barrel, didn't fix the problem. Took out the switch on the other side and noticed that it was spring loaded, as was the widget in between the barrel and switch. Cut out a couple of bits of coke can, folded them up and tested for fit. Put it back together and it works perfectly everytime :) I guess there must have been enough wear in the switch contacts and the in between widget that the barrel wasn't putting enough pressure on the switch. Cost me $50 in misdiagnosis and saved me $30 on another part!

i had similar problems with the neutral start switch on my 09 chev pickup. it had lived its first 5 years driving in the dust of northern texas and when i got it, there was so much dust and dirt caked underneath the dash you could hardly see the switch. after finally finding it and removing and replacing it, i was amazed at how it was constructed, using the delron or nylon material it was made from, to form a spring to hold and release contacts for the dang thing to work. cramped and muscles hurting that i didn't know i had, and now its like new. how i dislike working on cars in my old age.

Had an opportunity to use the tool post grinder that I built last week. Made a trial run at grinding a blind hole reamer from HSS reamer blank stock. All I can say is YIPEE . Much to my surprise it even exceeded my expectations!!! Even though I only had some questionable mounted points to play with. I do now see that a home built index plate with main flute index marks as well as flute relief markings ( for flute margins ) are in order. My main difficulty is trying to figure out a method to grind the relief on the tapered end of the flute. Perhaps a mounted point with a angled cutting surface, HMMM ! Gota go. Pics to follow. Maybe?

I have been using ceriated tungsten exclusively. What are the advantages and disadvantages you see with lathanated? Gotta love welding SS. Nice work!
R

Up until about three years ago, I too was pretty much exclusively using 2% ceriated on my inverter TIG machine (Miller Dynasty 300 DX). However, I had gotten some 2% Lanthanated by mistake on an order and instantly fell in love with it. Now that is pretty much all I use. It seems to hold its shape so much better than the ceriated tungsten and doesn't seem to splinter at high current like the ceriated can/does.

I would say the 2% ceriated is my #2 choice.

Mike.

Well my little 6x10 Utility trailer project is now completed.

Friday night I made cardboard templates for the sides and then transferred those dimensions on to the .062" ATP.
2r4ot5d.jpg

ATP cut and installed also on Friday night. Very understanding wife as she knew I wanted to get this completed over the weekend.
ws701s.jpg

And before closing up shop Friday night I coated the 2x8's with a good coat of boiled linseed oil, after laying down some plastic of course.
21cyyrn.jpg

Saturday morning I installed the safety chains and my new coupler lock.
10hsjuh.jpg

I then installed all of the freshly coated decking and rolled it outside for some pictures.
309omsk.jpg

b4yfiw.jpg

2jd2983.jpg

And here it is with the spare tire cover and the tire protectors installed parked in her new home in the back yard. Ready to provide years of service (hopefully).
20tqskz.jpg

5fna7q.jpg

Now that is a trailer I will be proud to have hooked up behind my truck or Jeep.:bounce:

After completing this project around 11:00 am Saturday morning, I pulled my old one (5x8 trailer) into the shop to double check everything and make certain all lights were working properly (lights not working are one of my pet peeves) I was able to post it up on the local classifieds. It was only on the internet for about 45-minutes before the first person showed up with cash and it had a new owner.

Mike.

Nice build, what kinda coin you got into that new trailer?

That is one sweet trailer. I love the wheels!
R

Machined a bearing counter bore - 1.573" x 0.475". This was done in the outer support for the worm extension (operating) shaft on the indexer I am working on. Also fabricated a 100 foot 120vac extension cord.

Have a good day

Ray

Nice build, what kinda coin you got into that new trailer?

Thanks. Completed with torsion axle, tongue box, new tires & wheels, ATP and LED lights I am right @ $2k. Some of the steel I picked up used which really helped the budget.

That is one sweet trailer. I love the wheels!
R

Thank you. I appreciate that. I did kind of splurge on the wheels. I looked as just the regular white steel trailer wheels but opted to go a little nicer. I have been towing around a smaller 5x8 trailer that was one of those mass produced piece of crap ones for the past 14 years and finally decided to fab a trailer that I can be proud to tow behind my truck or Jeep when shagging a non-running bike or parts. I was embarassed to hook up to the other one, this one more closely represents my shop and our personality.

Mike.

Back