2015 POTD Thread Archive

Mark they dont seem to fit to the description tables for inserts as well.
The numbers are making no sense.

View attachment 105585
I know. I took those numbers right off the insert holder. I could not find them anywhere. I could get you the numbers off the insert pack , but I doubt it will help much.

I found the Ultra Dex site too, but could not find these.

Hey mark, I wonder if one of them do dad's would be complimentary to a radius turner build I wanna start here soon...
Do you think one of the larger ones will work ? I got several left and right. I would like to find a use for them. I will try to post a picture of the larger ones tonight.

Anyway to ask the friend who gave them to you where he got them?

I sent an email to Ultra Dex to their info address given on their website last night, asking about the part number & different sets of holders .. lets see if they are on the ball & still in business.

Anyway here is a UK website that ships world wide & sells tool holder spares .. if you have a mill perhaps this is the route you may wish to take and make your own holders fitting them up with the spares kit. ( if everything you need is there )

totoolsupplies.co.uk/turning-toolholder-spare-parts-288-c.asp

Last edited:
Mark, I went back and looked at your pictures, and looking a little closer I'm not sure that R/L holders would be practical, if one were a neutral I'd think it would work

Mark, I went back and looked at your pictures, and looking a little closer I'm not sure that R/L holders would be practical, if one were a neutral I'd think it would work
I think I have a larger one that is neutral.( or the bit points straight out) but even at that, the tool holder has a "side" to it. I will be out of town tomorrow but will try to get a pic on Sunday.

I sent an email to Ultra Dex to their info address given on their website last night, asking about the part number & different sets of holders .. lets see if they are on the ball & still in business.

Anyway here is a UK website that ships world wide & sells tool holder spares .. if you have a mill perhaps this is the route you may wish to take and make your own holders fitting them up with the spares kit. ( if everything you need is there )

totoolsupplies.co.uk/turning-toolholder-spare-parts-288-c.asp

I think the tool bits are pretty standard but I can't find these holders anywhere on the net. I just thought they made a nice tool once I milled a shank for them.

so here are some pictures of my new to me Mitsubishi ASX445 3" face mill. my initial use of it is the hot rolled steel plate pictured as well, which is the mini pallet project. the pictures of the steel that aren't as reflective as the one with my hand are cut without a wiper insert. Also these cuts were done dry. the inserts themselves are cermet inserts, and I was running this cutter at 1000rpm, it don't matter how fast you crank the handle, you cant even tell your cutting......im wowed. obviously if you cut real deep youll know but..... .020-.070 its like butter
mitsu.jpg
mitsu1.jpg
mitsu2.jpg
the blurry area next to my wrist is comparing the wiper insert to non wiper, the middle and fingertip area have been both cut with the wiper, I used the upcut method for all my feeding, .0006 runout on the shars arbor

Last edited:
Chevydyl, awesome looking finish from that facemill. Watched a bunch of videos on it in action. I'm jealous so gotta get one. Can I ask who you ordered it from and a rough idea of what it cost?

Hey John I pm'ed you, all said and done I'm a little south of 200, that's the cutter, a 10pack, 2 wiper inserts, and the arbor

Back