2018 POTD Thread Archive

Its fantastic you are allowed to actually remove them yourself.
We cant, it upsets the insurance tossers.

Savrin, to answer your question, those places have no insurance don't pay tax, they a true outlaws, normal everyday person is scared to go there, the wild west has nothing on those guys.

Its fantastic you are allowed to actually remove them yourself.
We cant, it upsets the insurance tossers.
Savrin, to answer your question, those places have no insurance don't pay tax, they a true outlaws, normal everyday person is scared to go there, the wild west has nothing on those guys.
Just to add a perspective to the two of you - all the junkyards I've been to (all legitimate and legal, mainly in Oregon) have been "pull it yourself." I haven't delt with many of them, as I'm not any kind of a car guy.

Sometimes they'll have specific high-value items already removed and available for purchase at the office. And as I understand it, the majority of their business is supplying replacement parts to repair shops. There's some kind of computer network for just this kind of supply and demand.

I'm sure that any of the "car guys" on the forum would be much better than me at discussing this (off) topic, but I found your discussion very interesting and thought I'd chime in.

... and going just a bit further off-topic, but somewhat related ...
I was just reading an article in Model Engineer magazine (from the UK.) It mentioned that only one member of a club had a chain saw license, so he was the one cutting away a tree that had fallen across their tracks. CHAIN SAW LICENSE??? I think everybody in my former neighborhood in the woods of Oregon had at least one chain saw. I had two myself.

Not all the wrecking yards in Oregon are U-Pull-It type places, but they still exist. My son and I picked up a part for his car
recently and we had access to the yard. Just roamed around with a tool box looking for the right hulk. I think we had to
sign some sort of waiver, but that was it.

Those yards are about the only thing I miss from living in Pa. Back there, there were a bunch of them. Some charged an admission price. The best part, was you knew what the price was, all doors are $xx, and all bumpers are $yy, etc. They were fun to go to. Here, the closest is 5 hrs away, in Denver. We have one here, that says pick and pull, but their prices vary by the day, the color, and what the operator thinks he can get from you.

Here is San Antonio TX, and a few others I have been in TX, have a bunch of the Pic In Pull types, Rows and rows of cars, etc, Some sort by make, others your guess is as good as any. And they charge a buck or two to get in, then prices are posted on the board, You pull you purchased. Have always built up old cars prior to the ones we have now. So spent a lot of time there. Take what you can find and remanufacture to fit yours at times.

Oh TomS those nice looking glad my wife does not see them she might want one.

Today i decided to find out how bad the trunk door is on the little Niva i'm repairing, i can hear rust inside, so i took the interior panel and found really bad rust, also one side is bent, so i decided to take off the windscreen so i can work on it, taking everything off the panel i discovered cracks, also some bad repairs on the gas shock mounts and when i started to poke and hit the edge i found the only thing holding it was paint and body filler. At this point i decided to stop, i'll try to buy a new panel, or a good used one, removing that windscreen was a bit tricky, but the russians used very tight and thick glass so it come out in one piece.
IMG_20181102_171040.jpgIMG_20181102_171339.jpgIMG_20181102_171358.jpgIMG_20181108_154106.jpgIMG_20181108_161403_1.jpgIMG_20181108_161347_1.jpg

Today i spent almost entire day welding on the little Niva, first i had to clean the garage to have space to work around the car, vich by the days end become worse, one of the things i had to put away was the exhaust i took off this car, you can see the kink in the tailpipe, i'm sure who ever made it had "performance" in mine, the first task to work on was the rear panel, i wanted to weld around the bumper tubes more for sealing purpose then for strength also i pulled out and welded a big dent and rip in this panel, also i had to weld in a patch on the drivers side. Then i focused on the drivers side rear arch, this side had lots of rust in the back corner, and it all fall put, so i had firstly to make an new inner panel then a outer panel, i made it in two pieces, then i cut out all the rot in the upper part and used an old front fender to make a inner patch, by this point my hands got tired from shaping sheet metal so i focused on the inner wheel well, i scraped all the falling rust and undercoating and applied anti rust acid on all the places i worked, because of that in some pictures welds look rusty. Hard dirty day in the work shop but the little Niva is becoming more solid by the day.
IMG_20181110_124331.jpgIMG_20181110_124339.jpgIMG_20181110_174728.jpgIMG_20181110_174753.jpgIMG_20181110_174823.jpgIMG_20181110_174843.jpgIMG_20181110_174857.jpgIMG_20181110_174903.jpg

I'm supposed to get a decent lathe in the shop I'm working in very soon . As of the moment , there is a South Bend 10" in used and abused condition which will be sold or junked . Being their were no machinists in the group , the gib was removed from the cross slide so no-one could use it other than to polish rollers . I told them I wanted the 15" Cohlchester from the other plant that sits because they have no machinist either . Anyway , I have 16 shafts to make in the near future . 15-5 stainless ht'd to 32RC . I'm looking forward to it . The majority of my recent work could be measured in broom stick handles ! :grin: I may even have to use a pair of mics .:rolleyes::encourage: I'm setting this shop up going forward to try to turn this place around and stop sending the machine work out . I'll have to lug some of my tooling in here and put it to use after years of resting safely in the Vidmars . The shelves are pretty bare of tooling ..........more like empty .

I assisted a friend, YouTube subscriber with a part he needed for his Lisle drill grinder. I machined the part for him our of solid stock. Here is the video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back