2018 POTD Thread Archive

Please add a link or pics of the type of car you're talking about. A Google search showed only gravity powered vehicles with MUCH larger diameter tire/wheel size.

At this moment I only have the wheels. It will be gravity powered small car for kids around 5 years. Cars like image below was very common when I was a kid. My plan is keep the simple concept but with a steering wheel on a square tube chassis keeping things as funny as possible.

images.jpeg

Danger! Will Robinson! a kid could get killed on something like that. But seriously they could be a lot of fun. That's what they are for, fun.

Had about an hr to play in the garage last night so decided to try a left hand lathe carbide bit in one of the cheap flycutters I got a while back.

I milled down the lathe tool bit shank from 3/8" to 5/16" installed it with more rake so the cutting happens at the edge of the carbide. I only had time to do one test run, I pulled some numbers out of thin air and hit go - so this was a 10 thou cut at 10 ipm with the spindle running at 1800rpm.

Here's a short video of it in action:
https://streamable.com/s/jtot9/eosapt

40192899915_31d8ff4c69_z.jpg

40377380134_58a19e8e25_z.jpg

40192899495_db70306d12_z.jpg

It's not a Superfly but the finish came out really well IMO.

Neat little idea something i may do with my left handed tool that i wont use much

I made a replacement double pulley for a friend's snow blower (he bought a larger engine for it and the new engine had a larger (1 in) shaft.) Initially he just wanted me to bore out the original pulley, but there was not enough metal to allow for adequate threads for the bolt that holds the key/pulley on the shaft. It came out pretty good. I needed to borrow a broach set from a friend so I got to use my recently aquired 20 ton press on the project (worked great!). Also got to use my new Kennametal tap on this project. Now I am spoiled - I need to get rid of my crappy Chinese tap set and buy a new Kennametal set!

Rick

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4505.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, adapting the drill press stand (for a hand held drill). I'll bet it has to be clamped down, though.

I finally got these done enough to take a picture. I’m thinking grand total on money savings was right around 30 dollars. I had a good time cutting the dovetails with my Ammco shaper. And I have a whole new appreciation for the cost of manufactured toolholders. Ha! Although having done it successfully, I believe I’ll make more, with less mistakes. B5EEEB8D-7D3C-4F5E-AA2E-1BBDFBD164A5.jpeg

I got started on the controller for my VFD conversion for my mill. I got most of the high voltage side finished before next door neighbor showed up with beer.
30D36EB7-06EB-414B-9D0D-D0BDAB693846.jpeg

The enclosure should be here Tuesday, I hope to have the low voltage finished also by then. Time will tell.

Back