2018 POTD Thread Archive

69e3bb2d0ea4b82968e531c5b0e72e61.jpg
e801bd70444b8030c65a1d42f1d7d8cc.jpg

I finished my soft jaws for my smaller vice. This is a vice I purchased at an auction. I wanted to dedicate it to use on things I don’t won’t to mark so I made aluminum soft jaws up for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I NEED some of those! Great implementation.

I made a replacement double pulley for a friend's snow blower (he bought a larger engine for it and the new engine had a larger (1 in) shaft.) Initially he just wanted me to bore out the original pulley, but there was not enough metal to allow for adequate threads for the bolt that holds the key/pulley on the shaft. It came out pretty good. I needed to borrow a broach set from a friend so I got to use my recently aquired 20 ton press on the project (worked great!). Also got to use my new Kennametal tap on this project. Now I am spoiled - I need to get rid of my crappy Chinese tap set and buy a new Kennametal set!

Rick

Here is the snowblower assembled with the new pulley. My friend says it works great!
Rick

IMG_4527.PNG

I also turned an old drill press into a hand taping machine.

I held on to this press a long time. It was my Grandfathers. My brother knocked it over and distroyed the motor mount. Busted the casting up pretty bad. Didn’t feel right to through it out. Here are some pics. I turned bushing for the quil and reused the belt guard casting by altering it to fit upside down. Also the quill down feed hub was bored and busched to fit the quill. Just need to make new handles.
7785B438-293F-46DA-9F40-7FDB1EB65A4D.jpegC620E09D-A391-4A83-BF28-D0DD5A991AD6.jpeg

I also turned an old drill press into a hand taping machine.

I held on to this press a long time. It was my Grandfathers. My brother knocked it over and distroyed the motor mount. Busted the casting up pretty bad. Didn’t feel right to through it out. Here are some pics. I turned bushing for the quil and reused the belt guard casting by altering it to fit upside down. Also the quill down feed hub was bored and busched to fit the quill. Just need to make new handles.
View attachment 264048View attachment 264049

Great it is wonderful to repurpose broken or unused machines

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of days ago my bride came in and said the "van won't start". Went out to the garage and turned the key on part way..radio on..check, turn on headlights...check...turn key to crank...click...click...click. Ok Hi impedance battery, it is 7 years old.. Time for the charger to get it started.

This is a 2003 dodge grand caravan. reached down under the dash to pull the hood release lever and it released and the plastic lever broken and fell apart. Fortunately the hood opened, got the big charger on the bat, started the van and we went for a new bat. While I was at my service guy, we discussed the broken latch...$50 with taxes. Holy crap for $2 worth of plastic. SOOOOO the rest is what we hobby machinists do to show our wives how we can fix a $50 part with $10,000 worth of equipment and 5 hours of me time.

Please enjoy and chuckle and have pitty.
Broken latch fingers.View attachment 263328 so had to get some measurements in order to make a replacement for the two broken hinge fingers. then remove the broken fingers.
View attachment 263329
So now to mill a new part out of aluminum to be attached.
View attachment 263330
So the new insert has two tapped holes for 6-32 retaining screws. However it had to be attached to the hood release handle before we could drill the cross holes in the retaining ears.
View attachment 263331View attachment 263332

View attachment 263333
View attachment 263334View attachment 263335

Guys I am not even sure why I am posting this..other than it is the thread what did you do today.

David

Hey I’m impressed

230a1665d9151deaad8872bef9b8b86c.jpg
24649adefb6613276d0eb5a24fab8bbb.jpg

Made up a plate with 2 bolt patterns one for the tapping machine and one for the portable bandsaw. Just run the bolts down and use the tool. I just didn’t want to mount my tools permanently on the bench. I need the space

I finally got these done enough to take a picture. I’m thinking grand total on money savings was right around 30 dollars. I had a good time cutting the dovetails with my Ammco shaper. And I have a whole new appreciation for the cost of manufactured toolholders. Ha! Although having done it successfully, I believe I’ll make more, with less mistakes. View attachment 263809

Yes but they are the way you wanted them. I made some for my boring bars a while back because I didn’t want them to be bulky for the small bars

I made this little do-dad.

Very nice work and video.

Tip: If you truncate (flat) the indexing pin by 20-30% off the diameter in the front, it should enter and exit the hole with less fuss.

Back