2018 POTD Thread Archive

Since my shop time is nil, my project is helping my wife ,,,aka Grammy,,, by entertaining our gran baby . I knew I'd get her up with me in my bed if I had something she liked. At times I was her dolly babysitter and Dr too. But while watching YouTube I looked up cartoons and there's ole woody woodpecker , Yosemite Sam , Mickey and the road runner too. So ole pop pop made a list under Sophias name she loves them , she spent all afternoon Sunday and evening wanted to sleep with pop pop . God I love this bundle of life , this morning pop can we watch woody , of course I said no YUPP ok . She likes pops guns and trophys , first lessen do not touch . More to come , next lessen salute the flag and sing. If schools won't teach patriotism pop will , and treat others like you want to be treated. Guess being a parent don't end. For now cartoons win.

Fitted an old face plate to my lathe. I recently picked up a 6" face plate cheap at a garage sale for the Logan. Threads were correct for the spindle,
but when I spun it on, they bottomed out before it went on completely. Made a spacer for the spindle, threaded the plate on backwards and
machined some more relief into the threads. Finished up by taking a light facing pass to square the surface up and clean up the dings and
rust. Good as new.

DSCF7361.jpg

DSCF7360.jpg

Haven't been around the forum much lately. However, work continues in the shop. Made a pair of chess sets for my dad and brother using 1018 steel tube. Gun bluing did the trick for the "black" pieces. A little oil based finish over the top to resist smudges.

Now that is an interesting and unusual project. I like it. Nice work!

Made four thimble nuts for a outboard spider I recently built. The material used was some mystery bronze.

Knurled at 485 rpm and feed rate was .014/rev. Coarse knurl .
fullsizeoutput_685.jpeg
Drilled and power tapped using the fwd/rev jog feature.
IMG_3360.JPG
Short video of the power tapping.

Profiled and parted, rinse and repeat 3 more times.
IMG_3364.JPG
Small chamfers where cut prior to parting.
IMG_3365.JPG
IMG_3366.JPG
The fit.
IMG_3367.JPG
All done.
IMG_3369.JPG
Thanks for looking.

Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
I realized with all the action the mill has been getting I'd been ignoring the mistress lately so... I made a knob for the speeder wrench.

41119984004_c7b9996dc1_z.jpg

You probably can't tell but this whole thing (the wrench including) is made kinda sloppily and out of wrong material for the job. I'm calling this a rough proof of concept to prove to myself that if I had to make one to save my life I probably could but mostly that if I had several hrs to kill I can make all sorts of useless stuff :grin:

Cleaned up in front of shop today(81 degrees f..)getting ready to start on a 8ft dual grate cooker.cleaned and fired up my electrolysis bath.disassembled atlas 618..started cleaning parts.forgot how small a 618 is after using my Sheldon 11" for so long..sometimes small is a good thing.

Back