2018 POTD Thread Archive

I posted this yesterday, but it seems have gone AWOL during the server move - so here it is again.

I machined a pin / spring retainer for my kit car brake pedal return spring. Where I had the spring previously (pulling back from the clevis pin where the booster arm is attached to the pedal) wasn’t returning the pedal to the fully up position. Which meant that the brakes where dragging, unless you lifted the pedal up with your toe... :oops::D

I turned this from an M12 bolt. It’s been taken down to 8mm diameter for most of the length, with a groove cut so the spring end sits in it. The bolt head has been shaved down, leaving an 8mm register which is itself drilled and threaded to accept an M6 bolt.

B2682779-E42E-40F9-9FF7-B6BEF6E09CD5.jpeg
FD731677-C234-48BA-80CD-A53AA6A64D57.jpeg

It’s attached to the pedal via an 8mm hole cross drilled through the pedal arm. The register locates it, and the M6 bolt with a washer holds it in place. The bolt has been blue loctited in place.

AF891EBE-E960-4231-9B80-0704249D0C39.jpeg

Makes so much difference. Although I will miss ping ping ping of my rear brakes cooling down now. :p

There’s lots more picks of Vikki over on her build blog: http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/

I've recently moved two shops into one (larger) space, but as yet it's wall-to-wall boxes. See post #37 in https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/whats-the-best-shop-idea.57258/page-2 Working on getting it organized, I'm starting to build storage organizers. The first one is a rolling small parts orgainzer, just completed today.

I must give credit to samthedog for this idea. He built a rotating 4-sided organizer for his 20 foot shipping container metal shop ... https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...container-metal-shop.34187/page-2#post-301287 See post #36 for a photo of his unit. Thanks, samthedog!

Here are photos of my "interpretation" of his idea:
View attachment 265194View attachment 265195View attachment 265196View attachment 265197

The pipe is there to keep things lined up. Don't yet know if I'll cut off the excess ... or maybe use it a a flagpole :) The bottom layer is four "Helmer" units from Ikea ... https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10251045/ I added pegboard to the exposed sides, for additional storage of larger items. The multi-drawer units in the middle and top are Stack-on bins from Lowes. I found the red drawers at a local Habitat for Humanity store (charity store, for forum members in the UK, etc.) for $.75 each. Counting the 4 sides, there's a total of 264 drawers (of 4 different sizes), plus 4 upper bins I can use to stash papers, etc. Luckily for me, the Helmer units come in various colors (used to be 4, now only 3, so I painted the drawer fronts of the second white unit). I'm sure I'll be needing the colors as a key to remembering where stuff has been stashed!

... Now for the fun of loading it up!
Thank you for finnishing it for me. My birthday is next Tuesday. I hope you can send it over in time.:aok::aok::aok::aok::aok::aok::aok:excellent job

Thank you for finnishing it for me. My birthday is next Tuesday. I hope you can send it over in time.:aok::aok::aok::aok::aok::aok::aok:excellent job
Sure thing - if you'll cover shipping costs. I think it's a bit too large for a USPS flat rate box :)

I overhauled the carburator on my Honda Ruckus. It got clogged up from methanol gas. I took it apart about a year ago and finally got around to it last week. I had a rather difficult time putting it all back together. I couldn't remember where all the breather hoses went.

But, it's running now, smoother than ever.

Anything flat in my yard is my shop. So, my boat in the driveway counts. After years of neglect, It was full of leaves and everything else trees like to drop on everything. I got it all cleaned out (with a scoop shovel), pressure washed the carpets, and repaired some wiring that was chewed by rodents. The only thing is the engine, which hasn't been started in 10 years. It will still turn and crank, but I'm sure the carburator needs a serious overhaul. I put a couple caps of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder heads. I turned it over by hand a few times and then hooked it to one of my ATV batteries and checked if the starter would turn it over. It did.

After I got all the electrics working, a guy knocked on my door and said he'd heard that I had a boat I wanted to sell. After some dickering, we arrived at a price I could live with, considering I couldn't start the engine. I could demonstrate it would turn over and had compression. I could have gotten a few more dollars If I'd fixed it so the engine would start, but I'm happy to be rid of it.

So the boat is gone now, I have a thick pile of twenty dollar bills and my driveway back. I haven't been able to get my car anywhere near the garage. Clutter wise, a boat is pretty big.

Thanks Ray, for taking the time to explain gear cutting in your other thread. I really enjoy learning the gear cutting process. Nice job!
Cheers
Martin

I started to clean up the Kurt Vise I bought off eBay, by cleaning up the tops of the jaws to remove some gouges left there by the previous owner. They weren’t too deep, so I didn’t remove too much. By the time I was called in for dinner, I’d managed to clean up all the top surfaces, polish out the milling marks on the fixed jaw and remove and clean all the old glue from what was left of the Kurt decals on the movable jaw.

I’ll finish the jaws tommorow by polishing the marks out of those as well. I probably will start stripping the rest of it down so it’s ready for the base to be repainted and for the new parts @DHarris is kindly sorting out for me. :)

Back