2018 POTD Thread Archive

Lathe tool height gauge. Finished it up today. Had about four hours in it the other day. After getting a surface grinder I find everything needs a ground finish. Block is square a parrallel within 4 tenths. I'm still struggling with a satisfying finish but it'll work. I had the knuckle from another mag base. I plan on doing a nice pivot adjustment like on newer height gauges. Couldn't decide if I wanted a point or a flat so I did both.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thats the problem when you get a grinder. But the look is nice on tooling. Nice detail on the edges.

Greg

Lathe tool height gauge. Finished it up today.

How did you machine the sides of the base? They look really nice. I can see I'm going to have to up my game if I'm going to hang with you guys..

MetaKey

How did you machine the sides of the base? They look really nice. I can see I'm going to have to up my game if I'm going to hang with you guys..

MetaKey

I milled everything to square stock. Then I used a round over till to get the radius around the top. Then I used a ballnose endmill and did the flutes on the sides of block. Then ground all over.
The block needed some gripping area. It’s a 3x3 block and it has a little weight to it. I didn’t want it to slip out of my hands.

Then I used a round over till to get the radius around the top. Then I used a ballnose endmill and did the flutes

Looking at it I thought that is how you did the sides but I wanted to be sure -- I really like the look. Kind of a subtle, almost art deco, piece of work. Perfect for a shop tool.

Nice job!

MetaKey

bbae8b45cd4df8a07ebd41a09befc1e1.jpg
Machined delrin parts to glue up in children’s paint cups to make the cups more like spillmaster containers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back