2018 POTD Thread Archive

After sitting outside tarped on the trailer for the last 6-8 wks, I finally got the Gorton mill off the trailer and into the new shop. It would still be there, but I needed the trailer to pick up several tons of used steel I ran across today and need to pickup tomorrow. The original plan was to have the backhoe in the shop, back the trailer in and lift the mill by the ram and pull the trailer out from underneath it. After looking it over I just wasn't comfortable hanging 8k lbs from the ram, so i ended up getting it off pretty much the same way I got it on. Blocked up the rear of the trailer, set up the ramps, put a logging chain around the base of the the mill and slowly pulled it back onto the ramps and down onto some sections of pipe. Now I need to move it about 20 feet to it's new permanent home. The pic with the vacum in it is the area where it will be going once I get the painting done, and the metal wainscoting up. I think I'm going to cut a hole in the wall into the welding area next door for the rear of the ram to go through, which will cut down the machine foot print by about 20". This thing is 7.5' from front to rear. Found a Navy i.d. tag on the vertical head dated 1961, and found the silicone dam on the rear of the vise/table for the flood cooling to be kind of interesting. Mike

P1010911.JPGP1010912.JPGP1010915.JPGP1010916.JPGP1010918.JPG

That's one heck of a mill. I was amused Iin the best sense of the word) by your plan to poke a hole through the wall for the ram!
Also, "... found the silicone dam on the rear of the vise/table for the flood cooling to be kind of interesting."
I guess that would indicate that the vise hadn't been moved in quite a while. Hope the table surface under it is in OK shape!

Made a false chuck for a L0 spindle.
I am making a 5C collet adapter for my lathe.
When no chuck is installed the L0 chuck lock ring is loose on the spindle.
The false chuck secures the lock ring.
It is made from an available block of Delrin plastic (thus the odd shape).
This is the first time I have ever cut a thread - it was a 4 1/2 - 6.
Now I can continue with making the 5C nose piece.

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

In keeping with Greg's wood theme here, I had occasion to use my old 113 today for the first time in a lot of years and thought maybe some folks might find it interesting. Made by Stanley, this one is the second incarnation and bears the 1879 patent date so it's 1913 or earlier. Still works fine, although these things never did get used much.

image.jpeg

The sole flexes depending on how large or small of an arc you want to plane. The front knob is the adjustment, so when turned it pulls up or down on the front leg which is linked via gear to the rear leg. Thus they both move in unison. The blade adjustment is controlled by a large wheel on the opposite side and is really quite a bit nicer than the later style which mounts behind the frog.

image.jpeg

Does it work? Yeah it does, although I can't ever see getting whisper-thin shavings from it. It's hard to keep the arc in contact with the work and cut forward at the same time, but you can get reasonably good at it. I haven't had much call, but I'm glad I have it. One of those things that when you need one, nothing else will quite do.

Thanks for looking!

Oh I should add, it does convex curves too, not just concave ones.

-frank

A very elegant piece of tooling Frank. I have a Record 020C (had to look it up) , not nearly as appealing but apparently operates in the same manor. Even razor sharp it seams to want to chatter rather than produce a nice shaving. Had it off the shelf yesterday. Charlie was smoothing out a hip curve in the solid body of an electric guitar. He went back to using a rasp and files.

Greg

Well today went really bad really quickly, picking up something in the shop, not really heavy managed to hurt my back, instant pain and dropped i managed to call and get help to visit hospital but evan with pain pills still hurts like hell.

Sorry to hear your back is out. Take it slow for a while, and hopefully you will be up and around again soon. Mike

I noticed the shop air system was leaking down after a few days of no use. Turns out the Chinese rubber hose on one of the HF reels finally failed. The two reels have been in service since 2014 without issue. I would still recommend this buy knowing that a hose upgrade would be needed. The hard turn is where the hose finally cracked and began to leak. I found an American made hose replacement for those reels on Amazon for around $22 bucks each with free shipping. The only issue was both ends of the hose have 1/4 NPT threads and the old chicom hose had a 3/8 NPT on the reel end. A simple solution was a reducing bushing from ACE for $1.25 ea. The new hose is very supple compared to the old one and has a burst pressure of 900 PSI.
The system has been holding pressure for several hours without loss.

One reel on the auto lift post. This hose has not leaked yet but got a USA hose anyhow.
IMG_3731.JPG
This was the leaking culprit.
IMG_3732.JPG
This U bend is where the old hard hose failed. (new one pictured).Notice the reducing bushing 3/8-1/4.
IMG_3733.JPG
Nice non marking hose and very flexible.
IMG_3730.JPGIMG_3735.JPG
A little trick to support the hose while torquing the QD.
IMG_3734.JPG
Good to go!
IMG_3736.JPG
Again, I would recommend these reels (on sale for 60 bucks) knowing that the hoses would require upgrading. As far as reel operation, they work very well.

Paco

Back