2018 POTD Thread Archive

ddickey:

Nice job on the knurling tool. I built the same one from Tom's site. (Not as nice as yours.)

Could you post a link to the wheels you bought? If I remember, Tom's design calls for 1/4 X 1/4 X 5/8 wheels, which are somewhat hard to find. I bought wheels that size. But that was a long time ago, and I don't care for the pattern they make.

Thanks!
Thanks Bill,
I got mine here. Not the cheapest but I wanted a quality wheel. Convex, circular pitch, 25tpi.
https://www.accu-trak.com/knurls_convex/gkv.html

made a Delrin compression washer for my bike

attachment.php

installed
attachment.php

and some curtain rail adapters
attachment.php

Last week, someone was stopped aside the freeway with emergency flashers. The last thing I wanted to do was to get to work, so I stopped to help. I quickly found out that the individual could not get their jack underneath the car (hint: don't lower your cars, folks). I finagled the jack underneath, and lifted the car.

Then we found out they didn't have a lug wrench.

So I headed back to my new-to-me truck to see if I could find mine. I'd only had the truck for a half month, so this was something I needed to learn. And that's when the new realization hit me ....

I didn't have a lug wrench or a jack for the truck!

I didn't even have the bracket that holds the jack and wrench down. It typically sits underneath the front passengers' seat, but where it was was a threaded hole that would allow water to permeate the interior. Not good.

So, a quick call to a dealership, and they can't even find a part number to order. A check to eBay, and someone out there is charging $120 for the assembly. I fired off an offer that was rejected. Rather than face up to a low-ball and buy it, I grabbed parts from Home Depot, picked up my spare Kydex sheets, and bought a bottle jack from Harbor Freight. Then it was a matter of assembling a frame. I heated the Kydex and formed it around the jack (I didn't want a potential hydraulic fluid leak), and then riveted the thing together. I know it's ugly (I didn't want to unbury the welder, nor did I have the right size of rivets, but those can always be replaced later).

IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7590.jpg

I did have to trim a panel to get it to fit, but unless you know what you are looking for, you'll never see it.

IMG_7586.jpg

IMG_7585.jpg

The other thing was that I didn't have a 6mmx1.0 hold-down bolt, so I turned some 1/4" threaded rod to the outside diameter and used a metric die to cut it, coated it with Loctite, and created my own hold down bolt.

IMG_7588.jpg

Now I feel more comfortable having the tools in place..

It's a Ram, so you really should also keep the biggest set of tools you can buy in it as well... :)

I had to put a full toolset in the Jeep under the back seat. Fun, but be prepared for it breaking down somewhere.

Back