2019 POTD Thread Archive

Today i has some time to spare so i decided to do some cleaning in my machine shop, its become a real mess. It started good with taking out the junk but when i come to the large 4 jaw chuck i wanted to see will it fit my lathe, so first time for me taking the chuck off my lathe, This is a Russian lathe so it doesn't use traditional mounting methods it has 4 nuts holding it, and a big taper in the middle, backing off the one of the nuts aganse the casting of the machine, breaks the taper and the chuck come off. There is a lot of dirt to clean up from the flange but the good news is that the mounting flange is the same. Now i have no excuses not to clean up this chuck and start using it. From looking at it i need to be more careful with the speeds i'll be using on it, i don't think it can go up to 2000 rpm.
IMG_20191207_213851.jpgIMG_20191207_213515.jpgIMG_20191207_213458_1.jpg

I made a dial indicator holder for my SB 9A. I was just going to make a stop to bump against but decided the indicator would be more useful. I saw something similar in a pic on this forum, so....thanks to whoever I stole this idea from. 20191208_112957.jpg20191208_112905.jpg

I put both the DI and a stop on mine. I have them set 0.500" apart, so that I can see the carriage approaching the zero point. I can release the clutch at the 0.005" mark and finish the cut by hand.

Made a custom clamp to hold the actuator together, after it was damaged during testing:
IMG_1530.jpg

Also made a mount for the actuator rocker switch, so it's within reach of my hand without having to lock/release the controls:
IMG_1531.jpg

been busy now that classes are over. Plus grading = maximum procrastination

made a mill vise stop
IMG_9011.JPG

a worm bending mini press brake
IMG_9015.JPG

and started cutting up those 3 worms
IMG_9016.JPG

once I've finished that I'll need to make pockets in the ends of each piece for magnets, anodise the alu pieces different colours and then stick in the magnets. The aim is to make a multi-colour worm necklace for a guy I met at the worm conference over the summer.

View attachment 307733

Alien saltshaker.

Robert
I remember seeing same sort of thing that they made into a door pull at a retail store or restaurant. Probably posted on HM site ? Maybe you were the person asking everyone how it was made ?
Anyway, it looks just like that door pull. Very cool. I like it.

This morning, I finished up using my craft cutter, I mean, CNC-controlled gasket maker. I have a Chevy small block that I cannot find a carburetor adapter for. I ordered one that was supposedly compatible, but unfortunately, it didn't fit, and would have left me with a massive vacuum leak :

adapter_doesn%2527t_fit.jpg

Remembering my wife got me a Silhouette to cut stencils for customizing some guns, I thought it would be perfect for making a template that I can use making a custom adapter. So, I broke out the paper and colored pencils and computers :

making_manifold_gasket-01-getting_surface.jpg

I scanned it in, and adjusted the levels using my photo editor so I could see the edges clearly (I use Gimp) :

making_manifold_gasket-05-adjusting_levels.jpg

Then I loaded Inkscape (yes, I am an open source junkie) and traced that image into bezier curves (in the following photo, there are circles - don't do those because they didn't transfer - I had to redo this part) :

making_manifold_gasket-07-traced.jpg

At that point, I could export it as DXF (plotter/cutter) and import the DXF into Silhouette Studio :

making_manifold_gasket-10-importing_dxf.jpg

Then, send it to the "printer" :

making_manifold_gasket-11-sending_to_silhouette.jpg

Peel it off of the cutting board carefully (or you'll tear it) :

making_manifold_gasket-13-pealing_carefully.jpg

And test fit (I did one cut, it was out of size, so I adjusted it in Silhouette and re-cut it and have a perfect pattern) :
making_manifold_gasket-15-proper_fit_after_adjusting.jpg

Now I need a chunk of aluminum to machine this out of. I can drop the pattern down and use spray paint to transfer the cuts out.

Back