2019 POTD Thread Archive

Apparently, the intake is a common spread bore intake. I found that the local parts store had a Mr. Gasket #1932 adapter that would allow a square bore carb to sit on a spread bore intake, or a spread bore carb to sit on a square bore intake. I don't know where my brain is. Wondering if I should just put out a missing persons report on my brain. The pattern did help me when I went to the parts store and found the adapter to make sure it would work.

Today i decided is the day to clean, check and fit the big chuck on my lathe. Started by disassembling the chuck, and took it outside, it has a thin layer of rust and grime, i used the same soft wire brush on an angle grinder as i used doing bodywork on the little Niva. It takes off the rust with little effort and doesn't take off any steel. Having to do it to every suffice did take some time. Then i mounted the flange bolts and mounted the chuck to my lathe, there i assemble it and brash on a coat of engine oil. By the looks of thing this chuck has never been used, there are no marks to indicate any use also the marks where it has been hand scraped in are still visible. With this chuck i can grab a 15" wheel by its inner lip which will be very useful to me and is impressive for a machine of it's size. Hope you like seeing this process. Goce.
IMG_20191214_142249.jpgIMG_20191214_142257.jpgIMG_20191214_144755.jpgIMG_20191214_144808.jpgIMG_20191214_150054.jpgIMG_20191214_152138_2.jpgIMG_20191214_161224.jpgIMG_20191214_161230_1.jpg

I put both the DI and a stop on mine. I have them set 0.500" apart, so that I can see the carriage approaching the zero point. I can release the clutch at the 0.005" mark and finish the cut by hand.
I decided to add the stop. I was going to secure it with a set screw, but it fits so snug on the indicator tube that I called it done.20191214_133435.jpg20191214_133419.jpg20191214_133428.jpg

Just turned the machine shop into a wood shop . The boss needed a wood thingie made up . Full radiused disc 7/16s thick , milled down to a half disc , and drilled and c'sinked to match the one that he received . Not a big deal , but at least I had something to make tonight . ( I live in a machine shop and can't dream up anything I need to make believe it or not ) :D

Today i decided is the day to clean, check and fit the big chuck on my lathe. Started by disassembling the chuck, and took it outside, it has a thin layer of rust and grime, i used the same soft wire brush on an angle grinder as i used doing bodywork on the little Niva. It takes off the rust with little effort and doesn't take off any steel. Having to do it to every suffice did take some time. Then i mounted the flange bolts and mounted the chuck to my lathe, there i assemble it and brash on a coat of engine oil. By the looks of thing this chuck has never been used, there are no marks to indicate any use also the marks where it has been hand scraped in are still visible. With this chuck i can grab a 15" wheel by its inner lip which will be very useful to me and is impressive for a machine of it's size. Hope you like seeing this process. Goce.

Nothing says big more than using an angle grinder for scale!
Great work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been working on my "basket case" 9A for a while now. Today I decided to try to make a turnbuckle for the motor tensioner. I've been using a cheap aluminum one that I picked up at the buy hardware store. It was bending when I tightened the belt for heavy cuts. I don't have a 3/8-16 LH tap. I thought about making it bigger to major the internal threading easier, but decided to give 3/8 a try. Their wasn't much meat left in my tool by the time I got it small enough to fit in the hole. I took a lot of spring passes. The RH side was a breeze. I milled a 3/4 hex and a slot in the center to adjust it. Next up....change the motor. 20191215_090248.jpg20191215_090213.jpg20191215_105829.jpg20191215_105839.jpg20191215_111542.jpg

Today I made myself some finger clamps for my fixture. Started out with 3/8th material fingers are 1.250x3.0. Beveled the business end 30* for clearance. I undercut the bottom .015 to assure only the end touched material. All the hardware is 5/16-18 to limit tools. Plan on making another round with a ledge on the business end. Thanks for looking.
2EF478D5-2D1A-428C-95E8-7829D56DD6A9.jpegD8DF637E-93B1-4E2E-A6AE-AE418D30C4EF.jpeg

Today I made myself some finger clamps for my fixture. Started out with 3/8th material fingers are 1.250x3.0. Beveled the business end 30* for clearance. I undercut the bottom .015 to assure only the end touched material. All the hardware is 5/16-18 to limit tools. Plan on making another round with a ledge on the business end. Thanks for looking.
View attachment 307953View attachment 307954

I like the Allen screw in the back to be able to keep the clamp level.

Could make a set of round 1 inch or so risers with a dimple in the top to take the Allen screw and not move out. 4 each of half inch tall and one inch tall should do it. Easy lathe project.

Even simpler use same material and make a bunch of 1.250 X 1.250 squares with the dimple in the middle to catch the Allen screw and stack them up as needed for height. Will also make is less likely to scratch your table with the Allen screw right on top of it clamped with force.

Good work!

Last edited:
First time trying a cold blueing or anything of the sort. Figured the finger clamps would be a prime candidate. I had gotten some g96 gun blue creme awhile back with some of their cleaner/lube spray which is good stuff.
A1A2DF88-45FF-4D1E-92E8-9B9FF75E2EB2.jpeg
Cleaned the parts like recommended and since the wife was at work I preheated the parts in the stove to 200*. Directions say a warm part helps but not required.
After taking out of oven I used a q-tip to apply creme. It instantly turned black when applied so I rubbed the creme all around then rinsed in water. I could see a difference from the first to last part on how it accepted the creme because of the heat. I should have pulled them out of the oven one by one the heat help it suck the creme in for sure. The last one was alittle blotchy to the first one done. Once all rinsed off in water I coated in some lanolin oil am happy with the results.
37DD3A7B-EEB3-4C59-BDB2-2F765F067AF1.jpeg
That’s one coat with a light coat of oil. I think theirs room for improvement like a ground surface and a second coat for depth but it definately gives a good finish for parts.

Back