2019 POTD Thread Archive

Been spending too much time in the cabinet shop, my ADD kicked in and we moved downstairs to the machine shop. Have been impressed seeing these made here. Couldn't find the brass tube thats hiding somewhere but found some stainless, so we ended up with a food grade one. Now I'll be able to precisely lub my fried potatoes.

IMG_4335.jpg

GregIMG_4331.jpg

Today i spent all day doing busy work, everything from yard work to changing oil in couple of my cars and finally had some energy left to get this spare driveshaft for the little niva mounted, cleaned up and painted. It needs a U joint change and some fresh grease but now is one step closer to being used. Then i drilled the bolt holes for the new wheel centre, and welded it in.
IMG_20191229_164545.jpgIMG_20191229_165317_1.jpgIMG_20191229_170036.jpgIMG_20191229_170547.jpgIMG_20191229_170547.jpgIMG_20191229_173702.jpgIMG_20191229_173716.jpg

I posted the link to the original item above. It was someone else's work as a door handle. I liked the design so I came up with a way to copy it. The alien salt shaker went out as a Christmas gift. I am keeping the alien beer bottle opener!
Does this look familiar?

View attachment 308881

Devil's Postpile National Park

Robert (RWM)

Durn! There it was, unnoticed, when I wrote my post. My bad for not looking!

Very nice example of columnar basal!. There's a recreational rock climbing site in Oregon, Smith Rocks, that features such a formation. There's also some nice examples visible from I5 near Eugene.
I recall it was a couple months ago. Somebody strted a thread with a photo of a door handle in a restaurant. The round rod (about ½" or ⅝" diameter) had the same neat looking end - a fascine of small hexagonal rods. IIRC, he was asking how this might have been done. Several people replied with their own versions. Among them, post #2355 (also by RWM) at:

That's the best I could come with by searching the forum - don't really know what search terms would work. Perhaps somebody else will recall the first post on the subject.
Hman ..I thought so. It is a very cool design. Still not exactly sure how it’s done. Just curious as to how you made it. Mig welding of hex bars and then to the lathe ???

RWM....my bad. Thought Hman made the salt shaker. See that it was your project.

im curious as to how you made it. I remember the discussion of the door handle but don’t remember the final answer as to how it’s made. Very cool design.
I’m guessing hex bars mig welded. Or silver soldered in center and then mig exterior. And then to the lathe ???

I thought about silver soldering and then welding but I realized I would melt the solder and have a disaster. I TIG welded the bases of the hex pieces together and then ground the base smooth. I then TIG welded the group to the end of tubing. You cannot safely use the lathe on this because you will likely catch and bend one of the longer hex pieces (I did it.) Instead, I used a belt grinder to shape and blend the hex group into the tube.
Thanks for your interest.
Robert

Last edited:
I finished a static wheel balancing stand today. Made entirely from inventory on hand (4 skate bearings, a short length of rectangular aluminum tube, some 1018 round bar, etc) I’m actually surprised at how sensitive it is.

The bearings are only ABEC-3 so really not precision by any stretch, and although my wheels turned out very uniform they’re not hardened nor ground. Still, when I mounted a used 5” wheel it easily responded to differences in fractions of a gram. I don’t know what a “real” balancer resolves at, but I’m pretty happy with this. I also lucked out and had a beautiful polished 1/2” shaft (electronics salvage) that was 1/2” and not a metric diameter so that counts for a lot I think.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

-frank

BB2BC92D-0091-4D6E-84CD-335CD5A0EECD.jpeg

47F1F4FE-33D9-4C16-9FCB-C857431C6B8F.jpeg

Thanks! Black doesn’t photograph very well, but you get the idea :)

-frank

Nicely done Frank. Thats something thats on my list.

Greg

Back