2019 POTD Thread Archive

I bit more of my shenanigans, i made new center for the spare wheel. Started with a 5 mm plate, drill, threaded and mounted in my lathe chuck with a bolt. First i cut the outer edge, then parted the centre bore, and finished boring it. Only to drill the bolt holes and weld it in place.
IMG_20191226_194406.jpgIMG_20191226_200640.jpgIMG_20191226_202209.jpgIMG_20191226_200619.jpgIMG_20191226_204824.jpg

OK, fresh cuppa coffee, sit back down, stare at it for another 5 mins.
... and I still don't see/get it. Going to need it explained or demo'd.
I figure that the boss grabs the cap, but I don't understand all the hex stock. :dunno:

Yes the boss grabs the bottle cap. The rest is "art"!
R

Last edited:
Per chance, might I impose on you for some links. (searching didn't return anything valid) :grin:
I recall it was a couple months ago. Somebody strted a thread with a photo of a door handle in a restaurant. The round rod (about ½" or ⅝" diameter) had the same neat looking end - a fascine of small hexagonal rods. IIRC, he was asking how this might have been done. Several people replied with their own versions. Among them, post #2355 (also by RWM) at:

That's the best I could come with by searching the forum - don't really know what search terms would work. Perhaps somebody else will recall the first post on the subject.

I posted the link to the original item above. It was someone else's work as a door handle. I liked the design so I came up with a way to copy it. The alien salt shaker went out as a Christmas gift. I am keeping the alien beer bottle opener!
Does this look familiar?

1577545256753.png

Devil's Postpile National Park

Robert (RWM)

Last edited:
I posted the link to the original item above. It was someone else's work as a door handle.I liked the design so I came up with a way to copy it. The alien salt shaker went out as a Christmas gift. I am keeping the alien beer bottle opener!

Durn! There it was, unnoticed, when I wrote my post. My bad for not looking!
Does this look familiar?

View attachment 308881
Robert (RWM)
Very nice example of columnar basal!. There's a recreational rock climbing site in Oregon, Smith Rocks, that features such a formation. There's also some nice examples visible from I5 near Eugene.

Does this look familiar?

1577545256753.png

I was going to say it looks like my neighbor's driveway, but his driveway has bigger holes.

Back