2020 POTD Thread Archive

Just as you think you are finish welding up holes in old cars, my daly has a small hole in the driver's rocker. I cut off the rusted out parts, and the inner structure is solid so i made patch panels welded them in, ground the welds and spray them with antirost acid and left it to work.
IMG_20200104_191519.jpgIMG_20200104_203150.jpg

My son started building electric guitars. He needed a way to accurately radius the fret board. A 12 inch radius.
We thought about building a jig that used the rotary table on the mill, but decided a stand alone unit would be beter.
We made two sets of quadrants with a 12 inch radius from some scrap 1/2 inch polyethylene Then a simple base and slide for the router. The slide has 1/8th plexi to guide a bushing on the base of the router.
Mount the neck, then go back and forth with the router indexing the cut to form the radius.

IMG_1630.JPGIMG_1631.JPGIMG_1632.JPGIMG_1633.JPGIMG_1634.JPG

Clever! I have a similar box that I used to use for fluting pilasters using a scratch stock, but I rotated the stock and not the table. Your way is quite intriguing and delivers what seems like a really nice surface.

-frank

Today i had some time to spare so i took a DA sender and some P220 to the hood on my dally driver. What looked like factory paint it is factory paint but it's been blended into an entire hood has been clear coated and not prepared well. In other words its not been done right and because of that is now peeling the roof and trunk are factory paint and after 24 years outdoors are still presentable. Tomorrow is christmas so i'll stay out of the garages. One good thing the little niva has been good to me i've been driving it more and more.
IMG_20200106_152849.jpg

Thanks Frank, come to think of it I made a jig as you described to flute the posts on a bed, a long time ago. I made him an aluminum sanding block with the correct radius cut out using a ball end mill and lots of step overs, manual cnc. He may have already sanded it for the photo, but the finish was really good, he must have made many increments.

Greg

I happened to find a strip of 1" wide copper that I didn't know I had, and made some anti-scratch covers (whatever they're called) for my 3 jaw chuck.
I made an aluminum copy of the nose of the jaw and bent the strips around that, and folded the back of the covers to wrap a bit around the jaw so they hold themselves in place.

IMG_1483.JPG

I have had trouble with such malleable strips messing up concentricity. Works better on a 4 jaw where you can dial it in.
Robert

Rwm, a good point. I measured runout at 0.002" worse than the chuck itself, using a 3/4" gauge pin. This works for some applications, not for others.
The 4 jaw project is on the list. :)

Reactions: rwm
got a really important project done last night - fixing my coffee grinder :) The center plastic bit holding the cutter to the motor grenaded while making a cup yesterday afternoon, so I replaced it with a 5/16-24 bolt, washer and nut. The backside of the bolt head is filed to fit the cutter and drilled/tapped for 6-32 (yuck). Motor shaft had a non-standard coarse thread so I recut over that to 6-32. Looked ugly but worked.
IMG_9042.JPG

in place
IMG_9043.JPG

works well
IMG_9044.JPG

success! Coffee has sadly already been drunk :(
IMG_9045.JPG

Back