2020 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks,
Will get a video when we install it. The man made pond is about 4 1/2 acres and 30 feet deep. Was quite a project.
We can get some cold weather here, forecast is -24 celsius Tuesday night, -30 happens often. Worried about the stainless shaft freezing in if we get a couple of calm cold days.
Not enough ice to go out and instal it right now but should be safe by next week. Will cut a hole for the fan and just set the floats on the ice, be interesting to see if it thaws enough ice to float.

Greg
Paint the shaft flat black that should make a difference. It may freeze if it gets super cold out, but should free itself up when the sun is on it.

That is a gnarly old handle! I like it! Curious, was the Live Oak as hard as its reputation suggested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Bryan. The Live Oak was hard as it’s reputation suggested. Cutting it with my bandsaw was slow. And although my blade was already old and it did cut through it... it was every bit as slow as cutting aluminum. FWIW, I had to change my blade not long after. The blade felt sharp, but wouldn’t cut worth a damned. Upon closer examination I can see the that there isn’t any “set” in the teeth anymore. I can’t say for sure the Live Oak caused the wear.... but I can tell you that if I needed to cut another piece.... I’d probably use my carbide tipped Diablo Steel Demon blade in my sawzall than risk ruining my new bandsaw blade.

Lol, I don't think my Suburban would like that any more than the fresh air from a can. It only has 4 working glow plugs, and the 120v cord for the block heater spewed blue flames where it connects to the block at some point. I'm glad it put itself out. I like my Suburban, it only has 310,000 miles on it. I plan to crank and squirt at the same time so the cylinders don't wash down.
Ok, I may have laughed a little when I wrote that.
I’m not a big expert on diesels... but years ago when I had my shop...one of my employees taught me a trick to start diesels. He would use gasoline instead of either. A red rag damp with gasoline held over the fresh air intake. The diesel would start right up but wouldn’t have that aggressive over rev like it would when using ether. Probably a lot easier on the engines too.
Ether if kind of hard on diesels. Gasoline being so much more volatile than diesel fuel is really all that’s needed to start most diesels. Works like a charm.

Wow, I had no idea. That’s really neat, thanks for mentioning it. I’m not a gun guy myself but oddly enough have done a bit of massaging on a couple 1911’s for a friend. I like them, they have a certain appeal that really grows on a person. Especially once you’ve seen them in pieces on your bench.

-frank
Yeah.... World War 2 was an amazing time for American Manufacturing. FDR who had attacked big industry earlier in his administration also understood big business and knew that companies needed to be rewarded for producing armaments during the war. Ford made a ton of money making B-17’s....rolling a plane off its Willow Run plant every 63 minutes.
But almost everybody shut down their normal products production and went into war mode. I had an a Saginaw M-1 Carbine.... and had a friend who had an IBM M-1 Carbine. There were all kinds of odd balls like that. Just an amazing accomplishment of America’s manufacturing prowess was done during the war years.

Last edited:
I’m not a big expert on diesels... but years ago when I had my shop...one of my employees taught me a trick to start diesels. He would use gasoline instead of either. A red rag damp with gasoline held over the fresh air intake. The diesel would start right up but wouldn’t have that aggressive over rev like it would when using ether. Probably a lot easier on the engines too.
Ether if kind of hard on diesels. Gasoline being so much more volatile than diesel fuel is really all that’s needed to start most diesels. Works like a charm.
I have been working on heavy equipment for almost 30 years, and have never heard of that!
I love learning new stuff!

I have been working on heavy equipment for almost 30 years, and have never heard of that!
I love learning new stuff!
That’s why I insist on giving Joe the credit for this trick. He was the one who taught me this and it’s just a brilliantly simple way to start diesels and it’s much easier on the engine to. I had never heard of it before....never seen anyone do that. But when I saw him do it it just started that diesel instantly. Just sucking gasoline fumes into the Diesel engine .
Really makes perfect sense when we think about it because the diesel is starting mostly by compression , and gasoline will self combust fairly easily. That’s what those cars were all doing in the 1980’s ....we called it knocking. And we’d have to buy premium fuel to keep the vehicle from knocking or even “dieseling” when the engine was turned off.
Anyway...try it shootymacshooty. It’s really a pretty neat trick. Wasn’t my idea. It was Joe’s.... an employee of mine who had a lot of diesel experience.

Last edited:
Yeah.... World War 2 was an amazing time for American Manufacturing. FDR who had attacked big industry earlier in his administration also understood big business and knew that companies needed to be rewarded for producing armaments during the war. Ford made a ton of money making B-17’s....rolling a plane off its Willow Run plant every 63 minutes.
But almost everybody shut down their normal products production and went into war mode. I had an a Saginaw M-1 Carbine.... and had a friend who had an IBM M-1 Carbine. There were all kinds of odd balls like that. Just an amazing accomplishment of America’s manufacturing prowess was done during the war years.

Minor correction: Willow Run is famous for producing B-24s. It matters to those involved.

Maybe you could agree on and enforce the motto of spelunkers (cave explorers) here in the US ... "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints." In other words, if he wants to take the car apart, make sure that HE takes the parts away ... and doesn't "accidentally" walk off with any of your tools :)
Its my brother, and with his work habits, my tools are very safe i also know that nothing will get done, and i don't want to have my garage occupied for too long, looks like i'll be missing couple more hours of sleep. It takes me just couple hours to strip a car but usually takes me 3-5 days to store everything and clean up.

That’s why I insist on giving Joe the credit for this trick. He was the one who taught me this and it’s just a brilliantly simple way to start diesels and it’s much easier on the engine to. I had never heard of it before....never seen anyone do that. But when I saw him do it it just started that diesel instantly. Just sucking gasoline fumes into the Diesel engine .
Really makes perfect sense when we think about it because the diesel is starting mostly by compression , and gasoline will self combust fairly easily. That’s what those cars were all doing in the 1980’s ....we called it knocking. And we’d have to buy premium fuel to keep the vehicle from knocking or even “dieseling” when the engine was turned off.
Anyway...try it shootymacshooty. It’s really a pretty neat trick. Wasn’t my idea. It was Joe’s.... an employee of mine who had a lot of diesel experience.

From experience, gasoline fumes, or propane in the intake only works on big diesels, the ones that have only one glow plug in the intake, smaller engines like one in cars and truck with glow plugs on every cylinder, starting spray ( ether) works best. That said i've also seen guys blow the intake and intercooler to pieces form using too much. My advice will be always spend the time and money just replace the glow plugs.

Back