2020 POTD Thread Archive

Not a machining project but it was nice to get back in the new shop after moving. The wife likes the “rustic farmhouse style” so I made these from mostly 2x2, 2x4 & 2x6 lumber. The barn door hardware was made from flat stock and some pulleys.

8c08c7d87aa3ef004a77926545c2241f.jpg

673cc76962990e8d968d22065bb564c7.jpg

7573b4b3b6484b1c43ed911a863abaec.jpg

a99141f1cb96f4caa49e4040604fdb23.jpg

0f15e934c567420cf1b874a9641b79f3.jpg

bc2b90ae70cd2037c286ff60555125d7.jpg

ca2aa3d56eb8bce14cde15fd2f130d07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be........here's hoping that we do not see your new inspection pit full of one big ice block as payback for the payback!
-brino
I don't worry, my colleagues and friends know very little about my hobby and side business so my garages and tools are safe, they may call in a bogus call in the police to get me arrested as a payback. I'm debating should i add a taser also that way they don't even think about payback, 50 000 volts may feel good when you are soaking wet and cold. :grin big:

I'm almost too ashamed to post this, as I have been using my big mill with no way to quickly shut-off the motor.
I always had to either unplug it from wall on the west side of the shop or turn off the breaker at the east side of the shop.

There is a big clutch lever to throw that stops the spindle, but it was still inconvenient and dangerous.
No more!

Here's the motor plate:
motor_plate.jpg

I collected these parts:
parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

The switch I bought a few years ago when Busy Bee Tools had them on sale.
The "box" is a 6-inch piece of square steel tube from a recently scrapped patio gazebo.
The box end caps are custom 3D printed parts, designed in Fusion-360 and printed in PLA:

fusion1.jpg

fusion2.jpg

cura.jpg

.....and I found some wire in the shed.

The mounting bracket has two positions it can sit in, locked by a pin so the switch isn't moving if I need to slap it in a hurry!

installed.jpg

It only took me a couple years to finally get it installed!

-brino

Those paddle switches are my favorite. I put one on the E-stop for my lathe. My problem with E-stops is that I use them so infrequently, I do not think it would be reflexive to reach for one in an emergency. I would find myself looking for the regular off button. How do you train your self to reflexively hit the E-stop in a moment of panic? Is this only an issue for me?
Robert

How do you train your self to reflexively hit the E-stop in a moment of panic?

Well, the best way I can think of to train yourself is to find yourself in need of the E-stop.

That's morbid logic... Honestly, the only E-stops I like are ones that are used to control the machine. If you stop with the E-stop like a switch and reset it every time, you get used to using the stop as a machine control. Then it's natural to reach for it. Not all machines are set up this way, but if the E-stop is only used for emergency stops it isn't on your radar when you need it. At that point it may as well be just another bolt head on your machine.

My estop brakes the motor hard so I don't like to use it routinely. Maybe I should periodically practice? I have it mounted right by my knee so it is very easy to hit even if my hands are caught.
R

Then your E-stop is a single-function emergency stop, and not a control for the machine. Unfortunately, muscle memory takes thousands of repetitions.

On my mill, the stop button is used to stop the motor all the time, not just in emergencies. So in an emergency, slamming the red mushroom is the natural thing to do, because that's how the mill is stopped every time.

Back