2021 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that you mentioned a phone booth. There is a working pay phone at the gas station up the street from my home. No booth, but a working pay phone. Only one I can recall seeing in years.
It's interesting you mention pay phones. Back in the 70's I owned 2 Standard oil service stations. One had a pay phone inside while the other had a pay phone booth on the corner of the property. As they became less and less popular the phone company came to the location with the inside phone and told me if I wanted to keep it I would have to start paying a monthly fee. My response was to remove it since I already had multiple lines for the business and the pay phone was a PITA.

About a year later they came back and asked if they could put a pay phone outside on the corner of the property similar to the one at the other station. I agreed and it was installed within a few days. About 2 years later they came back again and once again told me the phone wasn't generating enough income so I would have to start paying a monthly charge.

Needless to say I didn't appreciate their attitude. I'd let them place it there free of charge for 2 years and now they wanted to charge me to leave it there. After a heated discussion I told them I'd remove it myself. I instructed one of the mechanics to move a 5 ton wrecker over to it and pull it out of the ground so the rep could take it with him. The rep quickly relented and said he's have a crew out in the afternoon to remove it. Within 2 hours the crew arrived and the phone was gone.

It's interesting they never cared about the one at the other station. In all the years I owned the place I doubt I saw it used more than a dozen times. I sold the properties in the late 70's One now has a bank on the property, and the other has a dry cleaning business. I doubt either has a pay phone inside or out.

The IRS decided to audit Grandpa, and summoned him to the IRS office. The IRS auditor was not surprised when Grandpa showed up with his attorney.

The auditor said, “Well, sir, you have an extravagant lifestyle and no full-time employment, which you explain by saying that you win money gambling. I’m not sure the IRS finds that believable.”

“I’m a great gambler, and I can prove it,” says Grandpa. “How about a demonstration?”

The auditor thinks for a moment and says, “OK. Go ahead.”
Grandpa says, “I’ll bet you a thousand dollars that I can bite my own eye.”

The auditor thinks a moment and says, “It’s a bet.”
Grandpa removes his glass eye and bites it. The auditor’s jaw drops.

Grandpa says, “Now, I’ll bet you two thousand dollars that I can bite my other eye.”

The auditor can tell Grandpa isn’t blind, so he takes the bet.
Grandpa removes his dentures and bites his good eye. The stunned auditor now realizes he has wagered and lost three grand, with Grandpa’s attorney as a witness. He starts to get nervous.

“Want to go double or nothing?” Grandpa asks. “I’ll bet you six thousand dollars that I can stand on one side of your desk, and pee into that wastebasket on the other side, and never get a drop anywhere in between.”

The auditor, twice burned, is cautious now, but he looks carefully and decides there’s no way this old guy could possibly manage that stunt, so he agrees again.

Grandpa stands beside the desk and unzips his pants, but although he strains mightily, he can’t make the stream reach the wastebasket on the other side, so he pretty much urinates all over the auditor’s desk.

The auditor leaps with joy, realizing that he has just turned a major loss into a huge win. But Grandpa’s attorney moans and puts his head in his hands.

“Are you OK?” the auditor asks.
“Not really,” says the attorney. “This morning, when Grandpa told me he’d been summoned for an audit, he bet me twenty-five thousand dollars that he could come in here and pee all over your desk and that you’d be happy about it.”

Don’t mess with old people!

Quasimodo goes on vacation

Quasimodo decided it was time for a vacation. He wanted to get away for a few days, see a few new cathedrals, hear some new bells. He went to the Bishop and asked permission and the Bishop was agreeable to the idea. He told Quasimodo that he'd been a faithful servant and that his record in the church was very good. There had been that one incident with a girl, but the church was inclined to overlook that. He told Quasimodo to prepare for his journey and that someone from the congregation would be selected to ring the bells in his absence. Quasimodo was elated. He ran upstairs and started planning and packing. He could barely sleep that night. The next morning, as he was preparing to ring the bells, a young man arrived in the bell tower and told Quasimodo that he was there to learn to ring the bells. Quasimodo was skeptical to say the least. The young man was quite young and somewhat small considering the task at hand. Quasimodo started to send him away, but the young man pleaded with him. He explained that this was a great honor for his family and that he would do his best to meet Quasimodo's standards. Quasimodo relented and started explaining the process. He told the young man to use the ropes to start the bells swinging. Once they're swinging, he explained, you must jump onto the bells and use your body to get the bells swinging to their limits. Once this is done, he explained that you must jump off, let the bell swing towards you, and let it hit you squarely in the forehead to achieve the perfect tone. Quasimodo was firm in his explanation that it must only hit the forehead. The young man said that he understood and he would follow the instructions to the letter. He grabbed the rope and, despite his diminutive stature, had little trouble making the bells swing. Once they were ringing loudly, he jumped on to the bell and swung it to greater heights. As it swung away, he deftly jumped off, landed, and prepared for the blow to his forehead. Unfortunately, the bell hit him fully in the face. The tone was wonderful, but the force of the blow threw him out of the tower and down to his death on the street below. A crowd quickly gathered and as Quasimodo arrived on the scene they all asked “Who is this young man?” Quasimodo could only shake his head sadly and reply “I don't know, but his face sure rings a bell.”

Quasimodo spent the rest of the day in deep depression. All he wanted was a simple busman's holiday, and his request ended in the death of a poor young man. The next morning, as he was sadly preparing to ring the bells, another young man, slightly older and larger than the young man from the previous day, arrived in the bell tower. He bore a striking resemblance to the first young man, and understood Quasimodo's confused look at once. He explained that it was his brother that had died the day before, but that ringing the bells was still a great honor for his family and that he had been sent as a replacement for his ill fated brother. Quasimodo was again skeptical, but his desire for a vacation won out and he explained everything as he had done the day before. He placed particular emphasis on the need to let the bell hit you in the forehead and nowhere else. He explained that the young man's brother had made a mistake by allowing it to hit him in the face and that had caused his death. The new young man assured Quasimodo that he understood. He took the rope and started the bells, jumped on and had them swinging perfectly, jumped off and allowed the bell to strike him perfectly on the forehead. This resulted in a magnificent tone. Unfortunately, he was still too light and the bell threw him from the tower to his death on the street below. Once again a crowd gathered asking “Who is this young man?” Quasimodo simply replied “I don't know, but he's a dead ringer for his brother.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back