2021 POTD Thread Archive

that's fabulous, love HMS Shed! Still trying to get my head around the back plate - are the 3 cap head screws sticking out the back for tightening the backplate to the chuck once you've dialed it in?
why were the cut outs necessary in the rim? Weren't those sockets below the face?
Just curious.

They hold the backplate to the fixed portion of the chuck. The three that are in the cutouts tighten the floating front portion to the back once you’ve dialled it in. I put those in just in case I need to get to them to slacken them off during or tighten them up after adjustment.

They hold the backplate to the fixed portion of the chuck. The three that are in the cutouts tighten the floating front portion to the back once you’ve dialled it in. I put those in just in case I need to get to them to slacken them off during or tighten them up after adjustment.

thanks, that makes sense now - so the adjustment part is between two halves of the chuck, not between the chuck and the backplate. Interesting way of doing it, I'm more used to the Buck/PBA approach of using a backplate with a bigger "spud" sticking into the chuck.

I just completed a tailstock tap/die holder set for my mini-lathe.

I turned a MT2 taper for the tailstock. The other end is 3/4" diameter to make sure it's plenty beefy. I made the diameter of the holders 2" since it would be easier to get a grip on.

I made separate holders for taps and dies. I wanted to be able to use 1-1/2" dies which turned out to be slightly more than 1.500". So, I made the ID about 1.510". Then, I made an insert to handle 1" dies.

For the taps, I decided to use my existing tap handles since they are the best at holding taps. I made 3 different inserts to handle the different sizes.

IMG_6145.jpg

@devils4ever

I don't think I've ever seen a tailstock tapper using slotted adapters to drive conventional tap wrenches.
I think those slotted adaptors are a very good idea.
Congratulations on your build. :clapping:

I've said it before, my brother's cars are competing for my attention. The original elephant has always had trouble taking off, the gearbox has been changed before my brother bought the car and the gearing is too high. When my brother was using it mostly on the highway this was great it keep the rpms down but in town it just burn the clutch. So to prevent this i got it smaller wheels, i bought 14" steel rims, had tires from the 206 and mound them and installed them. Buying and mounding with balancing the tires was less then 30$ so it is worth trying to prolong the life of the clutch. Now the tire diameter is much smaller and the car feels like you starting in first gear, before it took 3-4000 rpm to get going uphill now anything above idle is enough.
IMG_20211012_191509.jpgIMG_20211020_164226.jpgIMG_20211020_164233.jpgIMG_20211020_164241.jpg

I just completed a tailstock tap/die holder set for my mini-lathe.

I turned a MT2 taper for the tailstock. The other end is 3/4" diameter to make sure it's plenty beefy. I made the diameter of the holders 2" since it would be easier to get a grip on.

I made separate holders for taps and dies. I wanted to be able to use 1-1/2" dies which turned out to be slightly more than 1.500". So, I made the ID about 1.510". Then, I made an insert to handle 1" dies.

For the taps, I decided to use my existing tap handles since they are the best at holding taps. I made 3 different inserts to handle the different sizes.

View attachment 383223
I am loving these. Nice job.

Back