2021 POTD Thread Archive

Is there a plan for how your vice is going to grip all four parts at the same time?

Here's an update. It worked pretty well. I used a 1/4" pine furring strip as a soft jaw. It worked on 99% of the pieces. There were two that I had to put my finger on top ot keep them from pulling out of the vise as I retracted the tapping head.

Reactions: rwm
So, how do you do yours in comparison?

The rotisserie motor has a square drive to drive the shaft that the food rides on. This was years ago so I don't remember if I had square-headed bolt that fit or if I filed to fit. Then I epoxied it into the socket in the rotisserie. The bolt (roughly 1/4-20) is so that I can put a different cap on to hold the very bottom of different sized fishing rods.

I hesitate to put it in the "What Did You Build Today" thread since I did even this most recent one many years ago. I think this dates back to the '80s.

Rod_Rotator.jpg

Maybe the moderators will forgive me.

The rotisserie motor has a square drive to drive the shaft that the food rides on. This was years ago so I don't remember if I had square-headed bolt that fit or if I filed to fit. Then I epoxied it into the socket in the rotisserie. The bolt (roughly 1/4-20) is so that I can put a different cap on to hold the very bottom of different sized fishing rods.

I hesitate to put it in the "What Did You Build Today" thread since I did even this most recent one many years ago. I think this dates back to the '80s.

View attachment 349670

Maybe the moderators will forgive me.

They'll forgive you. It's me (asking in reply) that might not, but it's always easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission. Thanks! The picture is a great visual of how you set it up!

Magnabend progress! Formed up, assembled, and soaking in Cactus Juice!
f4cebdbd7db1f3b961d4e49b01c73d39.jpg
c9e3cbd669ae48fa62fa312e0bcee1da.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My afternoon/most of the day foray into thread cutting on the SB 9A
What a PITA!!

When it works the way I think it is supposed to, it's a joy to watch.
Was gonna go 2 more steps to 3/8 and then 5/16 but screwed up the 3/8" thread, reduced down to 5/16 and broke the dam thing off. Wasted/broke four 60* inserts as well.
Next time I'll start with the small end first?
I don't have a thread dial, maybe a lot of the problem??
I see a lot of them on e-bay but cant get my head wrapped around putting something made of plastic on a thread cutting machine.

Attachments

• DSCN8215.JPG
    DSCN8215.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
I've spent some time making t-nuts for some "new to me" block-type angle plates.

I found these in my local tool store before christmas and when my wife said she wanted to get me one more gift I suggested these......and a tool box to put them in ;^)

I made 4 tee-nuts for the little block, four for the medium block (all threaded 1/4-20) and 8 for the big block (four threaded 1/4-20 and four threaded 5/16-18).

321.jpg

322.jpg

323.jpg

all1.jpg

all2.jpg

Here's a page from the old (1969) Eclipse catalog:

eclipse_catalog_page.jpg

I had a few small 1/4-20 clamping accessories from a "bargain box" I got years ago:

clamps1.jpg

Does anyone recognize these small clamps?

clamps2.jpg

I have tried searching the marked numbers, but have found nothing.

Thanks,
-brino

That's some cool stuff Brino!
R

@brino

That's a nice bunch of kit you put together.

The PIC on the strap clamps reminded me of Precision Industrial Components/PIC Design. https://www.pic-design.com/

I don't see any strap clamps in their current products. However, I think they used to sell "breadboard kits" for prototyping small mechanical drive systems. Maybe your strap clamps are of that vintage. That's my WAG.

The PIC on the strap clamps reminded me of Precision Industrial Components/PIC Design. https://www.pic-design.com/

I don't see any strap clamps in their current products. However, I think they used to sell "breadboard kits" for prototyping small mechanical drive systems. Maybe your strap clamps are of that vintage. That's my WAG.

Thanks @extropic, I think you nailed it!

These sure look familiar:
https://www.pic-design.com/products/swivels/knurled-swivel-nuts/
https://www.pic-design.com/products/knurled-thumb-screws-and-nuts/

-brino

Back