2021 POTD Thread Archive

A 2 minute plumbing job . Clean the trap out . Started at 8am . Snapped the copper pipes of course . 4 trips up to Ace and it's back together , only one small leak . 'll get my neighbor the plumber to fix it tomorrow morning . I'm getting back to the shop work .

@GoceKU nice. The 9" grinders are a LOT more powerful than their little brothers the 4". The 9" grinder exhibits gyroscopic action, so watch out for that. The 9" grinder will make short work of what you need to do.
I've used them before at work and i've had to borrow, i have plenty of strength and weight to handle them.

A 2 minute plumbing job . Clean the trap out . Started at 8am . Snapped the copper pipes of course . 4 trips up to Ace and it's back together , only one small leak . 'll get my neighbor the plumber to fix it tomorrow morning . I'm getting back to the shop work .
You got it done with only 4 trips to the hardware store? I never have such luck.

You got it done with only 4 trips to the hardware store? I never have such luck.
I used to need 5-6 trips to fix anything plumbing or hardware related around the house, but couple years back i changed it. Everything i need to buy, i buy 2-3 more, and put them on a shelf, i've realised i'm spending more time and money in going to the hardware shop also sunday is the day when i need something and all the stores are closed. So i have a small hardware store in my basement and anything i use i buy some more on my way from work the next day.

I have a few Diamond cut-off blades, but those are for cutting concrete.

Yes, diamond blades are very common for cutting masonry. Notice that the type I linked to are for metal. Try it, you'll like it.

Plasma cutter is an awesome tool, unfortunately here those tools are very expensive, i'll have to spend 3 months paychecks to buy a cheap one.
You should think about immigrating to the US! With your skill set, you'd have no problem getting a job. Plus, no family drawing you into their projects :). Really nice selection of tools available here to fill a shop.

Here's a thread to a plasma cutter I bought 4 years ago. Granted, I haven't used it on a daily basis but did recently use it to cut up about 150' total burn length of 0.050" stainless. I paid $160. I see the seller on eBay doesn't currently sell the plasma cutter only, just a 3-in-one machine. There are other invertor types out there that may work for you and not cost an arm and a leg. Plus, if it craps out on you, we'll get to see a thread of your creative repair!

Bruce

You should think about immigrating to the US! With your skill set, you'd have no problem getting a job. Plus, no family drawing you into their projects :). Really nice selection of tools available here to fill a shop
I've heard that before, i've also been invaded to go to germany, canada and the US. I'm sure there are better opportunities elsewhere but there is something about motherland and the freedom i have here, perhaps one day i'll find out how is it there. :encourage:

After half a day and pack and a half of 4" cutting stones i could not cut apart the body shell of this parts car, it needs to be in pisces so the junk man can load it by hand, i had enough and went out and bought me a 9" angle grinder.
I have much better luck with a saws all, and good metal cutting blades. I can cut a pickup, and the frame easily with one blade, and there is no sparks, or blades blowing apart.

I once spent a day with a Sawzall, cutting up the remnant frame from a burnt-out house trailer. Miserable work, and went through a couple blades, but the saw got the job done.kHPIM0459.jpg
kIMG_8400.jpg

Finally finished the outer walls on the second story. The backhoe is living inside as of yesterday. Much like me it's getting old and tired, and has a hard time getting started in the morning. Will be pulling it out tomorrow to get rid of the 8" of snow we got last night and today. Cheers, Mike

IMG_20201217_201330401 (1).jpgIMG_20210105_114252986.jpgIMG_20210105_180830054.jpgIMG_20210105_180929103.jpg

Back